Silent Choice/Captains Call >

Silent Choice/Captains Call

Notices

Silent Choice/Captains Call

Old 07-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did u know

Back in the summer of 1990, Jim Browning the owner of Corsa Pef. had known the I purchased a set of his manual diverters for my brand new Baja 260 with the 454 Mag. He asked me at work one day if I would be willing to sacrifice some time on Lake Erie to test a electric solenoid version of his manual diverter. I agreed, and met him at the boat ramp and he installed his prototype on only one side of the motor. His main concern was if the solenoid was strong enough to hold closed with all the water & pressure going through the exhaust. Well it is safe to say the the smile on his face was just like the credit card commercial (PRICELESS)!

PS. My first Corsa electrical system was NC.

XT
Old 07-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered

Manual Diverters?? I've never seen them. Granted I am an old school jet-boater, but you can't touch even worn out electric diverters for under $500.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
Oh, this makes muck more sense. Sorry, I was never the sharpest tack in Reading Comprehension 101.

A sinking ship is a bad thing to say the least! The block off plate is a pretty solid set up and I too would advise against the rubber caps. But to do the block off plate you will need to pull the engine like XT said. The block off plate the exact same concept, attachment, seal and bolts as the Y plate. The block off plate even gives you the extra hole for all 5 bolts verse just 4 on the Y. It is a permanent fix and the kit is available from Merc.

I just switched to the true through with CMI headers and I am expecting to have some issues. If they get to be a little too much I will add the switchable tips. But until then... I will keep the noise.
OK guys, I can understand your concern about sinking a boat through the Y-pipe caps. If you are worried about them popping off, then run some stainless screws through the rubber boot into the rubber plugs before you silicone them together. There really isn't that much pressure up against them, especially if the flappers are still in place in the Y-pipes (as mine are).

If you are still worried about it, here is a link inn the swap shop to a member selling a pair of the Hardin Marine block off plates for the Y-pipes. These offer a more permanent solution.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...pipe-caps.html

Of course, if you plan to stay with straight thru hull, then pull the engine and get the Y-pipe out of there. It is a much cleaner solution. But if you are planning to eventually go back to a switchable exhaust, then I see no reason to go through the time and expense of pulling the motor - twice. Unless of course you are planning to refresh the motor.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0820Outlaw
Manual Diverters?? I've never seen them. Granted I am an old school jet-boater, but you can't touch even worn out electric diverters for under $500.
I wish that I had photos of them, but back in 90' there were not many digital cameras like today. they looked the same but with a spring loaded "T" handle that locked in both positions. You had to open the motor lid and switch them by hand. I think they deleted them shortly after the electric version.

Sad to say that boat burnt to the ground with 20-30 other boats, motor homes, & travel trailers the following spring, a week before I was to get it out.

XT
Old 07-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
OK guys, I can understand your concern about sinking a boat through the Y-pipe caps. If you are worried about them popping off, then run some stainless screws through the rubber boot into the rubber plugs before you silicone them together. There really isn't that much pressure up against them, especially if the flappers are still in place in the Y-pipes (as mine are).

If you are still worried about it, here is a link inn the swap shop to a member selling a pair of the Hardin Marine block off plates for the Y-pipes. These offer a more permanent solution.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...pipe-caps.html

Of course, if you plan to stay with straight thru hull, then pull the engine and get the Y-pipe out of there. It is a much cleaner solution. But if you are planning to eventually go back to a switchable exhaust, then I see no reason to go through the time and expense of pulling the motor - twice. Unless of course you are planning to refresh the motor.

Good luck!
I am not too worried about sinking. I went with the block off plate and clean install look.

But then again, the way I currently feel about our friggen boat I wish the SOB POS would sink!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

But then again, the way I currently feel about our friggen boat I wish the SOB POS would sink!!!
Seems to me like there was always a floating "something" in the waters in Lake Alatoona in the Atlanta area. I was scared, even at cruise speed, of running into a tree, telephone pole or whatever that would shear off the drive. That's an awfully big hole at the rear of the boat. How anyone could contain flooding is beyond me? Just be careful...you know what I mean?

Course I've been drinking tonight.......
Old 07-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 0820Outlaw
Seems to me like there was always a floating "something" in the waters in Lake Alatoona in the Atlanta area. I was scared, even at cruise speed, of running into a tree, telephone pole or whatever that would shear off the drive. That's an awfully big hole at the rear of the boat. How anyone could contain flooding is beyond me? Just be careful...you know what I mean?

Course I've been drinking tonight.......
No, I don't want to hit anything or get hurt. More like while it is at the dock or we are in a cove. No high speed impact.

I was so excited to do this project but now I regret the day I first looked at our boat. The thing must have been build on Friday the 13th or some witch cast a friggen spell on it!. Nothing but bad luck that keeps getting worse for me (us collectively... my wife is a trooper). One step forward five steps back.

Last edited by TW720HVY; 07-10-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I don't want to hit anything or get hurt. More like while it is at the dock or we are in a cove. No high speed impact.

I was so excited to do this project but now I regret the day I first looked at our boat. The thing must have been build on Friday the 13th or some witch cast a friggen spell on it!. Nothing but bad luck that keeps getting worse for me (us collectively... my wife is a trooper). One step forward five steps back.
I whacked a mostly submerged stump several years ago and nearly knocked the drive clean off the boat. The only thing holding it on was the trim lines and the remnants of the U-joint bellows. I had to stuff my t-shirt into the drive bellows hole to slow the water coming in. If my buddy had not been running along side to pull me back, the boat would probably be on the bottom.

I know what you mean about endless problems. Last week I was ready to just pull the plug on mine after the power steering ram decided to blow a seal. This was after the litany of problems that I had getting it onto the water this year - all well documented on these forums. Hang in there, and just keep putting out fires.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
I whacked a mostly submerged stump several years ago and nearly knocked the drive clean off the boat. The only thing holding it on was the trim lines and the remnants of the U-joint bellows. I had to stuff my t-shirt into the drive bellows hole to slow the water coming in. If my buddy had not been running along side to pull me back, the boat would probably be on the bottom.

I know what you mean about endless problems. Last week I was ready to just pull the plug on mine after the power steering ram decided to blow a seal. This was after the litany of problems that I had getting it onto the water this year - all well documented on these forums. Hang in there, and just keep putting out fires.
Thanks for the encouragement! But if I start documenting everything that was and is wrong with this latest project I am sure sparks will really start to fly since the person that has me by the short hairs is a prominent engine builder on this forum. Hell, he was even listed in latest edition of Powerboat. When I speak with others for help and advice and when they find out who it is they ARE ALL SURPRISED that this is going on! I can only imagine if I had a real scumbag shop working on it how even more awful this experience would be.

Sorry for the hijack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.