I love my Baja, but....... >

I love my Baja, but.......

Notices

I love my Baja, but.......

Old 07-26-2011, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

When I switched my 272 from a 502 blower motor to the 540 in 03 or so I did considerable work to it too, the center "hatch" in the cockpit that goes over the gas tank was always real spongy, I pulled it out to change the fuel tank pickup and I had it reinforced with a x glassed to it, at the same time I also rebolted the seats with giant stainless fender washers as they were loose and spongy feeling. I found that almost all of the screws that hold the liner to the stringers once the cover was out had missed the stringers, I rescrewd all of that down and added bigger stainless washers at the time. My stereo that was a factory option the hole for it was cut too big and the screws holding the frame in missed fibreglass and the only thing holding it in was the marine caulke on the plastic frame, you could make it skip in a no-wake zone it moved so much and it ended up falling thru the hole. The rear cowling between the engine cover and swim platform fell off when the boat was almost brand new the first time I drove it in 2-3 footers, the hardware holding the cabin hatch lock catch fell out too, they were rammed into fibreglass and couldn't be tightened. The bilge pump in the cabin was laying in its hole un-attached to anything and the rear bilge pump was mounted so high it wouldn't come on until there was 3+ inches of water in the bilge and then it wouldn't pump it down below three inches because it was simply too high, I re-located it and added a second one just in case. The wiring on the transon was hap-hazard, there was miles of wiring strung back and forth because it was way too long, it was like they took a harness for a 40 foot boat and just strung the wire back and forth across-ed the transom, I took 20 pounds of wire out and shortened it then re-terminated everything with solder and heat-shrink wrap then mounted it nice and neat. Overall I was very disappointed in how the boat was put together but it has been pretty solid after putting some time in it and has held together well considering what I have put it thru, Smitty
Old 07-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know I'm not the only one... Transom, two feet of stringer being replaced as we speak on my 302. Floor always had a little 'give' to it. Gonna have to look now to see just how much. My issue was related to the Bennett trim tabs poorly installed from the factory. Rotted my whole transom and stringers. I blame Brunswick, personally. I'm sure the giant corporation put a bunch of cost pressure on Baja and installed senior executives that build sea rays, not go fast boats. At the speeds we run, they take a little more abuse than the big cruisers.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Registered

Wow, I must have gotten a good one from the factory, Everything seems solid. only issue is the little screw/grommets holding the wind screen seems to come loose and i have lost a couple. In My old 96 272 i had to replace the cabin floor, it was totally gone, I think water sat in the front belly of the boat, Pretty much neglect and poor storage at the marina. Can't complain i picked her up for 10k and ran the snot out of her for 2 yrs and then off'ed her for 23k with no trailer.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Registered

I had the same floor issue with my 99 272 Islander, I think part of the problem stepping into boat same location for 10 years off my dock. We replaced the balsa core with plywood and all is well.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are a few pictures of mine right now getting the stringers replaced the transom is already done in these pictures ( the white spot at the back ) by the way this is not how you want to see your boat in the middle of summer
Attached Thumbnails I love my Baja, but.......-deck-2.jpg   I love my Baja, but.......-deck-3.jpg   I love my Baja, but.......-deck-4.jpg  

I love my Baja, but.......-hull-1.jpg   I love my Baja, but.......-hull-3.jpg  

Last edited by Ebay Ed; 08-15-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
Both points on this thread are very valid. A boat not properly cared for will have rot and other issues no matter what the build! Baja was a production line boat (quick builds, cost saving efforts to get it out quick and cheap), that's no secret. Screws into the fiberglass were pretty common (for example the way they through bolted the outer edge of the bolsters in the Outlaw series but screwed the inner mounts into the floor because it wouldn've been a PITA to through bolt them). I would assume any holes cut through anything near water or direct contact with water was properly sealed at Baja as a standard build process. But the other various screws on the inner portions most likely were just directly screwed in with out sealant first. But if you let water sit and there's screws, water will seep in and cause rot.

I agree with Obnoxus, I had a 97 Outlaw I ran the snot out of for 7 years and never had anything get rotted except the engine hatch (which was a near factor recall regarding how they built it and improper draining).

Either way, sorry youre having issues with rot. It's no fun no matter what boat you own!!
you talk about your engine cover.... that's crazy. i feel the same about mine. had to do a quick re-cover using a local shop. just had it covered white for now cuz it was ripped. i'm hoping to get enough coin for a good job to be done later by XT. But i was there and saw the wood and pad and everything. it was all dry... every bolt came out and those nuts (i call them cage nuts due to what they resemble in my field) looked new. the wood was dry as a bone.... but i had rotten stringers in my engine bay.... go figure. all fixed now and happy. i am proud of my lines of my 24 baja outlaw. i do think things were kinda slapped together but as time goes on and as i tinker i become more and more proud of her. and its really cool whipping the douche's ass from the boat ramp that claimed his 270 sport goes 80... then hearing my lady shout 72, 72.6, 73.1, 73.8, 73.9 as she is looking at the gps and my buddy from the boat ramp is far behind me... that all makes me feel good. i do still prefer my dream-o-meter. at least my old fariah one. the livorsi is too close LOL. the 270 btw had a brand new drop in 454mpi.

I think my boat was supported well by its eagle trailer. the bunks look like they hold it well and are plenty long. i think this prevented a huge hook in the hull. im pretty sure it has no hook. ive checked with a ok straightedge and i think im ok. my cover fits well and i think it was pretty well taken care of before i got it. it had 360 hours even on it when i got her home. i changed the oil and ran the snot out of her. about the third or fourth time out all day with my new boat i had a few too many at the dock. left the key on and came back to a boat with 528 hours on it. oh well what can ya do right? tried to make a 500hp clone and failed. then im where im at now. same hour meter. i think its crap when people install new ones. I considered drilling another hole in the engine bay and putting a new meter with my new engine and drive next to the factory one. but then i thought. who really cares between 360+ and 530- hours. so now i just keep track. i keep it on the computer. i may be a little of a maintenance freak but oil is cheaper than metal. this is what i save on my computer:

509 Rm Builder/ auto rons
Engine installed at 628hrs new drive installed. New fluid in drive. Merc gear + Hp fluid
First oil change 631 hrs
Second change 643 hours. Brad penn 20w-50. Wix racing filter
Third change 2010 season 661. Brad penn 20w-50. Wix racing filter. Also changed drive lube with merc drive + hp fluid replaced u-joint bellows. Replaced gimbal bearing. Adjusted engine alignment.
Fourth change 2010 season. 673 hours. Wix filter. 20w-50 brad penn

Open season 2011 change oil 679 hours. Wix filter brad penn 20w-50.
Second change 2011 690 hours. Bradd penn 20w-50 Changed Drive oil with merc Drive + Fluid.

she has 712 hours now and im freaking out. i need to change my oil.

i dont know what point i was trying to make now as i finish my beer. but im glad i shared it.

overall I think the same. my fit and finish of my boat is ok. it has not been left out in the rain or at least it shows no sign of it. baja gets a bad rap due to how many units are out there. many people are in the market to afford a baja but have no idea how much damage they are doing to it. then they sell it. and the next guy gets it. takes care of it and finds things. joins OSO and sometimes its downhill from there.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:41 AM
Registered

Ebay Ed.

Thats CRAZY amout of work being done. I would think if I had to have that done the boat would just be totaled or something. Whats it cost to redo that kinda stuff? I know where the boats splits in half, but its another thing to see it like that.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed,

Your new cabin interior is done! Looks good with the new colors.

XT
Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered

Ed, what caused your stringer and transom rot? I've tapped all around my transom and stringers underneath the engine, and everything is very solid. Also, why did the boat have to be split apart - access difficulties?

What's weird on my 1996 272, is water drains from the cockpit into the areas between the 2 stringers on both sides, and there's no passage or drain hole down to the bilge. Maybe that's a good thing, but water sits in there, so I ShopVac the water out when I get home so that it's not pooled there while the boat sits idle. I've even thought of using a 12v pump to make this job easier each time. The rest of the time the boat has a good full cover on it.

The trim tabs scare me (from what I've read on here) so I will completely seal them one of these days. Screws, and all edges.

Haven't pulled my fuel tank floor yet, but it's on the list....

Last edited by puzzleboy; 08-16-2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Change
Old 08-16-2011, 06:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mittens
Ebay Ed.

Thats CRAZY amout of work being done. I would think if I had to have that done the boat would just be totaled or something. Whats it cost to redo that kinda stuff? I know where the boats splits in half, but its another thing to see it like that.
alot of people told me to just throw it together and sell it but i really like my boat and i know unless i will the lottery i am not going to be able to go bigger and the 272 does everything i need it to on lake erie so i figured i would just fix mine and keep it for a long time i will know everything about it and how it is put together when it is done as for cost really hard to tell because i am having so much stuff done ( more stereo, reinforcements for the speakers, more led lighting, new gauges & dash panels ) hell i dont even remember what all i am having done LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.