I love my Baja, but....... >

I love my Baja, but.......

Notices

I love my Baja, but.......

Old 08-16-2011, 06:55 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think alot of my problems was caused by neglect maybe sitting outside uncovered but there was some stuff that Baja did to it that wasnt done right that possibly could have prevented some of the issues if it would have been done correctly
Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by puzzleboy
Ed, what caused your stringer and transom rot? I've tapped all around my transom and stringers underneath the engine, and everything is very solid. Also, why did the boat have to be split apart - access difficulties?

yea the stringers by the fuel tank you couldnt get to the back side because of the floorso it had to be split in half like that so i am redoing the cuddy area while it is apart new seats, carpet and headliner along with all of the stringers and bed wood up there going to have a brand new 1998 when it is done and probably will be stronger better built and look better than when it was new in 1998
Old 08-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my hat's off to you Ed. That's the biggest refurbishment I've ever seen. Keep this thread up to date, I'm sure we'd all like to see your progress! What's your best guess to have her back on the water?

For your new interior, did you go custom, or original colors?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

actually c deezy redone an older baja and done about the samething if not more to his as for the cuddy putting the same color white headliner in it i have no idea what the seats look like ( if they used the same colors of my cockpit interior they will have dark blue, yellow, silver carbon fiber and white ) maybe XT will post some pictures of those and replacing the gray carpet with a blue i should probably just start a new thread on my boat i didnt mean to hijack Laniers post
Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Registered

Not to be a prick, but what does something like this cost? i would think it would be cheaper to total it out, or sell it cheap and buy something else..

just curious i hope i never have to find out.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

i honestly cannot answer what just the repairs would have cost because i am having so much other stuff done like i said before some people tried to talk me into just scabbing it back together and dumping it and buying something else but there is nothing saying i would not have had the same issues in a couple of years with a different one this way i should not have any problems with the hull / wood for a long time i mean the screwed up way lasted 13 years done right it should last forever right ??
Old 08-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

So if my boat has some issues like these am I safe hitting big swells? Is the hull solid fiberglass on these boats? I did noticed a crack in the right rear of the boat where someone opened the sundeck to far and I think the stringers were a little wet at some point.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

i never had any issues with jumping waves or anything i went to put a 500 efi in it and we found the issues and i just wanted it fixed right
Old 08-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by puzzleboy
Ed, what caused your stringer and transom rot? I've tapped all around my transom and stringers underneath the engine, and everything is very solid. Also, why did the boat have to be split apart - access difficulties?

What's weird on my 1996 272, is water drains from the cockpit into the areas between the 2 stringers on both sides, and there's no passage or drain hole down to the bilge. Maybe that's a good thing, but water sits in there, so I ShopVac the water out when I get home so that it's not pooled there while the boat sits idle. I've even thought of using a 12v pump to make this job easier each time. The rest of the time the boat has a good full cover on it.

The trim tabs scare me (from what I've read on here) so I will completely seal them one of these days. Screws, and all edges.

Haven't pulled my fuel tank floor yet, but it's on the list....
Yea, trim tab screws rotted mine out. Boat never sat in the water either. Only day useage.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LanierBoss272
Nope, wood cores. Here's a pic of what the "guts" looked like after I cut it open.

I had the same issue on my 97 252 when I bought it, the floor right in front of the rear bench felt spongy. All of these look like they are approximately in the same spot, and I think it's from boarding the boat. After I fixed mine, I started watching people get on at the dock (I always have people bard on the sunpad), and everyone steps down on the seat, and then THUNK, just drops right in that spot on the floor. And usually not gracefully. I ended up doing some redneck engineering on mine...I cut out the rot, then tried to make as sqare of a hole as I could in the bottom of the floor. I then used a TON of fiberglass resin and matting to put it in. After this pic was taken, I then put fiberglass matting over the entire underside, except for the access holes. The floor has been solid as a rock for 2 seasons now.

I don't know why the damn image isn't showing up...so here's a link http://www.flickr.com/photos/66572271@N03/6059529313/

Last edited by txtraveller2002; 08-19-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.