Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
I love my Baja, but....... >

I love my Baja, but.......

Notices

I love my Baja, but.......

Old 08-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's essentially what I did as well- I just used a few layers of 1/2" chop mat along with resin. It'll work for the rest of this season and at the end of the season I'll pull it out again, cut the entire underskin out and rebuild. I also added 4 lengths of 4x4's siliconed down to the top of the fuel tank. They run the entire length so they can utilize the bridge supports inside the tank and not create pressure points. This helps distribute the load of someone stepping down onto the floor over a greater area as well as the seating and the beatings that delivers to the area. I can live with the extra 10lbs of materials I added for the benefit of essentially adding 4 more "stringers" to the floor of the boat.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Registered

I agree. I can't see why that area would be damp, when it's encapsulated in fibreglass. I think the core just gets crushed from people jumping on it.

As a temporary fix for the season, I through bolted the center-most screw (instead of a screw) under the rear seat, through the seat bulkhead and floor. Used a couple large washers. The 3 screws had long ago pulled out anyway. Makes it probably 70% stronger, but you can tell the core is still slightly compressed. But hopefully this keeps the floor panel from failing. I think when I rebuild and reassemble, I'll through bolt all 3 screw locations. The center you can access through the access hole, but for the other two I think you'd have to use anchor nuts (aircraft style) or something and insert the bolts from above. Maybe just glass in some stainless nuts to the bottom or something similar. Would make a huge difference in strength here. Maybe a reinforcing angle on top as well.

Is the original core balsa?

J

Originally Posted by txtraveller2002
I had the same issue on my 97 252 when I bought it, the floor right in front of the rear bench felt spongy. All of these look like they are approximately in the same spot, and I think it's from boarding the boat. After I fixed mine, I started watching people get on at the dock (I always have people bard on the sunpad), and everyone steps down on the seat, and then THUNK, just drops right in that spot on the floor. And usually not gracefully. I ended up doing some redneck engineering on mine...I cut out the rot, then tried to make as sqare of a hole as I could in the bottom of the floor. I then used a TON of fiberglass resin and matting to put it in. After this pic was taken, I then put fiberglass matting over the entire underside, except for the access holes. The floor has been solid as a rock for 2 seasons now.

I don't know why the damn image isn't showing up...so here's a link http://www.flickr.com/photos/66572271@N03/6059529313/

Last edited by puzzleboy; 08-22-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Registered

Just curious - what's 1/2" chop mat..... 1/2" thick? Where did you get that stuff?

Originally Posted by LanierBoss272
That's essentially what I did as well- I just used a few layers of 1/2" chop mat along with resin. It'll work for the rest of this season and at the end of the season I'll pull it out again, cut the entire underskin out and rebuild. I also added 4 lengths of 4x4's siliconed down to the top of the fuel tank. They run the entire length so they can utilize the bridge supports inside the tank and not create pressure points. This helps distribute the load of someone stepping down onto the floor over a greater area as well as the seating and the beatings that delivers to the area. I can live with the extra 10lbs of materials I added for the benefit of essentially adding 4 more "stringers" to the floor of the boat.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered

1/2" Chop mat is awesome stuff! It's essentially 2 layers of heavy chop that is sewn onto a layered fabric mat. It's 1/2" thick before resin and constricts down to about a 1/4" thick once you soak it and form it. I'm not sure where I came across this stuff, but for the extra resin it requires because it soaks it up like a sponge, you save in glass mat and time in building layers. The stuff is wicked solid as well once it's cured. I used to use it for car stereo subwoofer enclosures reinforcement because it's ability to stand up to pressures and not crack.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Registered

I have an 87 force and the floor and stringers are probably the only thing that i dont need to replace thank god ... Good luck!

Chris
Old 08-15-2013, 05:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisborges007
I have an 87 force and the floor and stringers are probably the only thing that i dont need to replace thank god ... Good luck!

Chris
Better look hard, my Force was wet as a mop, every hole for drains and such were not sealed, when I scrapped the hull I cut into it and found it to be WAY worse then I though,its amazing whats hidden...
Old 08-15-2013, 06:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mittens
Ebay Ed.

Thats CRAZY amout of work being done. I would think if I had to have that done the boat would just be totaled or something. Whats it cost to redo that kinda stuff? I know where the boats splits in half, but its another thing to see it like that.
My thoughts exactly, what does that cost???????
Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

i guess i need to get some pictures posted here to show what all was done to mine after 2 1/2 years in pieces it is finally 99% done just have some minor tuoch up stuff to do over the winter i have already put about 13 hours on it since the beginnng of July and not ready to stop yet this year i do have a post on Bajaboatowners.com called " my 272 rebuild " that does have a bunch of pictures with it
Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

for my stringers and transom to be replaced not counting having it dissasembled and reassembled was around 10k plus the re rigging
Old 08-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered

Ed, did yours have the drain holes through the stringers in the engine area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.