I love my Baja, but....... >

I love my Baja, but.......

Notices

I love my Baja, but.......

Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it only had the one in the middle under the gas tank and then in the very rear corners of the bilge stringers it is kind of hard to remember since it was over 2 years ago
Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine doesn't have the stringer drains, which I guess is a good thing! Maybe I'll check under the tank when I replace the floor core.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

drains are good as long as they are sealed LOL
Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Registered

I've never read about serious rot issues in regard to Baja boats...On craigslist long island there is a post in reply to someone selling a Baja in Moriches and it refers to Baja as the Bayliner of speed boats..
I did not ever consider the boats built by Baja a cheap or crappy but I understand that builders do cut corners here and there .
My 1989 Baja sport 280 has undergone some upgrades and refurbishments but the stringers , transom and floor are all in really good shape and show no sign of rot. The sun pad was ripped so I replaced it locally .the guy did a nice job . I have also seen evidence of screws coming loose here and there but nothing major that a turn of a screw stick cant fix.
All and all I have a really great classic 280 in excellent shape for its age . The motors ,and drives have been overhauled and it was given a new dash and some other things to bring it into the 21st century a bit . The hull was given some new paint and updated graffics with some good looking timeless colors.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered

I love my Baja but its time to sell it.... 1989 Baja sport 280 just don't want to own a boat anymore right now .
Old 08-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by hurryup
I've never read about serious rot issues in regard to Baja boats...On craigslist long island there is a post in reply to someone selling a Baja in Moriches and it refers to Baja as the Bayliner of speed boats..
I did not ever consider the boats built by Baja a cheap or crappy but I understand that builders do cut corners here and there .
My 1989 Baja sport 280 has undergone some upgrades and refurbishments but the stringers , transom and floor are all in really good shape and show no sign of rot. The sun pad was ripped so I replaced it locally .the guy did a nice job . I have also seen evidence of screws coming loose here and there but nothing major that a turn of a screw stick cant fix.
All and all I have a really great classic 280 in excellent shape for its age . The motors ,and drives have been overhauled and it was given a new dash and some other things to bring it into the 21st century a bit . The hull was given some new paint and updated graffics with some good looking timeless colors.
Can I ask who did your sun pad?
Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Full Force
Better look hard, my Force was wet as a mop, every hole for drains and such were not sealed, when I scrapped the hull I cut into it and found it to be WAY worse then I though,its amazing whats hidden...
I'd say if it's a production boat it started rotting the day it was made. I've looked at several this summer none of the holes drilled through the transom, stringers or bulkheads where sealed all had bare wood that was either rotting or water soaked. Don't fool yourself your boat has water in transom/stringers. Anywhere a screw has been run into the wood is unsealed as well. It amazes me they'd not seal up with resin during the build process, but it must save time. If you have a soft spot it's rot.

Ebay Ed did his right he knows it's all sealed now. Most of the ones I looked at had the drain holes and screws been sealed properly wouldn't have rotted or been water soaked.

Last edited by Irishtornado; 10-14-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Yep, I been in and out of my Cig and it is not wet, everything cut or drilled has tons or resin and gel coat over it, the holes I made for platform and all the AC stuff is resin and 4200....there is a difference in boat manufacturers that's for sure, I know Cigs that have rotted too, but most seem to be owner abuse of drilling and not sealing holes.... they all can rot over time, I am amazed mines dry considering its a 85 and never been redone, still passes survey even...I do my own surveys, but the previous owner had one done in 09... then it never went in water since 2010 till I got it with no engines...

Originally Posted by Irishtornado
I'd say if it's a production boat it started rotting the day it was made. I've looked at several this summer none of the holes drilled through the transom, stringers or bulkheads where sealed all had bare wood that was either rotting or water soaked. Don't fool yourself your boat has water in transom/stringers. Anywhere a screw has been run into the wood is unsealed as well. It amazes me they'd not seal up with resin during the build process, but it must save time. If you have a soft spot it's rot.

Ebay Ed did his right he knows it's all sealed now. Most of the ones I looked at had the drain holes and screws been sealed properly wouldn't have rotted or been water soaked.