496 ho raw sea water pump >

496 ho raw sea water pump

Notices

496 ho raw sea water pump

Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 ho raw sea water pump

Will any pump fit a 496 ho or will on that looks just like mine work like the one on this link?? what years and differences are there?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150646463132
Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Registered

It is the right pump but for another hundred I would buy a stainless replacement from hardin marine and not have to worry about the bronze pump anymore.

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-15774...d-502-mag.aspx
Old 08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered

You need to verify the year model. I know at least the 2004 and earlier pumps for the 496 don't have the green and white air lines going directly the pump (for the sea water pump out). The pump in the EBAY ad looks like the old style. The later model pumps have a little cylinder that the airlines go to to pump water out of the seawater pump.

Old style:
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...=SEAWATER+PUMP

New style (#9 shows the fittings and cylinder that the air lines go to)
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...=SEAWATER+PUMP
Old 08-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered

I have never seen any airlines to a sea pump.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

I purchased the one from Hardin Marine (stainless steel). You MUST purchase the impeller from them with it or if you have what they told me is the "older" style impeller to fit in it (i.e. a factory 496 impeller will NOT fit in their housing). I have heard pros and cons on the repair kit so I just opted to spend another 150.00 and do the entire housing...hope that helps.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baja25sst
I purchased the one from Hardin Marine (stainless steel). You MUST purchase the impeller from them with it or if you have what they told me is the "older" style impeller to fit in it (i.e. a factory 496 impeller will NOT fit in their housing). I have heard pros and cons on the repair kit so I just opted to spend another 150.00 and do the entire housing...hope that helps.
I recently bought the Hardin pump and it does come with the impeller. The only thing you reuse is your rear housing. It's not really a repair kit but rather a newly machined pump by them that has replaceable wear plates.

Looks like a nice piece and cheaper then the Merc that you cannot rebuild, won't install it though till winter but I'm carrying it for a spare with a spare pulley till then.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja_man
I have never seen any airlines to a sea pump.
I had never seen them either until I helped a buddy change his impellers on his 2007 30 Outlaw.