Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Looking for Opinions on New Purchase - Possible 2009 26 Outlaw >

Looking for Opinions on New Purchase - Possible 2009 26 Outlaw

Notices

Looking for Opinions on New Purchase - Possible 2009 26 Outlaw

Old 08-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=justinnx;3478030]What do you think this Fever would top out at? Think it would be a good ride with 3' or so chop?

Is it going to eat allot more gas then the 26 OL? In your opinion ok to go on smaller lakes?

Fuel,maybe a little more than 496 but not much.
Ride,I think you are going to have to define your definition of good ride. Will either boat run in 3 foot waves yes but not like a 40 foot boat.You are going to have to drive it and are going to get banged around a little.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Teo
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35 OL Prices?

Last edited by Teo; 08-14-2011 at 04:16 PM. Reason: I did wrong!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Registered

Thanks for all your posts. Since this is my first boat of this size I want to make sure I do it right the first time and not have to upgrade shortly after. Do you guys recommend going with a 2005ish Fountain Fever with Twins or a newer (2009ish)Baja (Built by Fountain) with a Single?

As for ride I was referring to doing some boating at LOTO. I know there is ruff chop there on the weekends and want a boat that can handle that and give us a good ride.

EDIT: How is a SST different then other OL's? I saw this one for sale Or is it best to go after the ones that are built by Fountain (09 or so)

Last edited by justinnx; 08-14-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by justinnx
What do you think this Fever would top out at? Think it would be a good ride with 3' or so chop?

Is it going to eat allot more gas then the 26 OL? In your opinion ok to go on smaller lakes?

Looks like a nice boat
Probably run 71-73ish. about 7-8 mph more than the 26

It's a good lakeboat, both are. Reliable power, hydraulic steering and so on. The fountain has a bit more of a racy feel, but 26 OL and 29 Fever are both great first boats. They are also pretty easy to lug around. What do you use as a tow truck? One personal reason why I like the 29 Fever over the 26 OL, is simply because, I LOVE twins, can't be beat IMO. That is also why I think you should look into 29,30,33 Bajas and 32,35 Fountains.
One thing to consider about this. As nice as twins are, if you decide to go big with blue twins in a bigger boat, they are in a different league than the black merc's, when it comes to maintenence and fuel cost. Have that in mind if it's important to you.

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator

Were there ever any issues with smaller Fountains, or why they quit building them? Not trying to restart the Baja/Fountain war again, just asking.

XT
No issues. They still do, you just have to order it. I don't remember who, but someone on OSO got a 2011 29' in the early spring I think.

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
What do you think this Fever would top out at? Think it would be a good ride with 3' or so chop?

Fuel,maybe a little more than 496 but not much.
Ride,I think you are going to have to define your definition of good ride. Will either boat run in 3 foot waves yes but not like a 40 foot boat.You are going to have to drive it and are going to get banged around a little.
What he said.

Again. Drive the 26OL, arrange with Shogren to drive the 29 Fever. Try the bigger Bajas and Fountains too, and find what you like. You are the one who has to live with it and love it. Just remember, you need to be able to haul it around and spend money and time on it. Nothing worse than having a nice, big, fast boat you never drive, because you don't have the money, patience, time, energy, truck or space to take it to the ramp easily enough to be bothered, or the ramp that is big enough is too far away ect.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 08-15-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you want a single, get a single.
It never ceases to amaze me that everybody likes twins and always wants a bigger boat. I couldn't care less about a bigger boat and my 26 handles anything this lake can ever dish out. I realize I'm the minority on this, but it still amazes me.

The fountain 29 with single blue power is sweet. It looks and feels much bigger than the 26 - but for me, the bolsters were uncomfortable and I didn't like the left hand throttle. But the 26 outlaw is nice too. Very comfortable. But everyone is right - it is not as fast unless you have better power.

You are right having a newer boat is a good thing.
The only resale concern would be if you buy brand new, you take a hit if you want to sell. Once you are a couple years old, I don't think that is a concern at all.

Also, sure older boats will cost less, but the flipside of that scenario is, it is much more likely to have issues, and cost a fortune in repairs, or rebuilding things.
You have little idea what you are getting into.

If it is older, at least shoot for lower hours. But I would go newer anytime.
Having bought brand new, it was fun, but certainly not the most practical thing.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Registered

I found a 2006 33 OL (35th Anniversary) with 210 hours for $75,000. Is this allot of hours for a 06 and is the price inline for what you guys have seen for this size/year of boat?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

I found a 2006 33 OL (35th Anniversary) with 210 hours for $75,000. Is this allot of hours for a 06 and is the price inline for what you guys have seen for this size/year of boat?
Hours are average for that year and price is good IF everything else is in good condition.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Registered

Sounds like a pretty good deal, if it's sound.

What motors are in it? The black merc's can run for 1000+ hours no problem if they are well looked after. The blue motors may be close to a top end rebuild at 210 hrs.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Registered

It has twin 496 HO's. (Sorry for the stupid question) are those the blacks , or how do you tell black/blue's apart? It is the stock motors that come with the 06 35th Anniversary if that helps.

Last edited by justinnx; 08-15-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered

It has twin 496 HO's. (Sorry for the stupid question) are those the blacks?
Yup. Black motors are just motors not made by Mercury Racing, but Mercruiser. Mercruiser paints their motors black, and Merc Racing paints them blue. The 496HO's are good motors, if they are well maintained, they will last long. The 33 OL also runs about 72-73 mph, maybe more with a little dialing in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.