Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Baja 22 Caliber Team Thunder.....any advice? >

Baja 22 Caliber Team Thunder.....any advice?

Notices

Baja 22 Caliber Team Thunder.....any advice?

Old 08-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 22 Caliber Team Thunder.....any advice?

Im brand new to this site and go fast boats.
Im looking at a 95 Caliber 22 Team Thunder with a 454 / 425HP, bravo1.
This hull has the TINY cubby bed area. What is everyones take on this boat? Im looking into a bit older boat as funds are thin.
Is it a solid well made hull? What about the motor? it now has 425HP from what i believed was 330hp. How well does this hull handle? fast with this motor hp? Things to look out for? Im looking for a fast fun boat for the family...getting ot of my fishing boat. Any help, suggestions or comments would be greatly appriciated in helping me make a decision before i fork out some cash. Ive also been looking at other Bajas like the hammer and other 20ish foot models. How does it compare to other Baja models near its year?
Thanks guys!
Old 08-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Registered

One more thing.......does this hull have wooden stringers? what years did Baja switch over from wood? Wooden stringers scare me lol Where can I find more info on the hull? Limited info online so far....is that a good or bad thing lol
Old 08-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Years ago, a neighbor of mine had one of these and liked it alot. He claimed it would hit 68 MPH with the stock 454 motor. However, it did have a nasty chine walk at WOT that was down right scary.

As with any boat purchase, take it for a test drive and make sure you are satisfied with its performance and handling before forking over the cash.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 fastech 292
Years ago, a neighbor of mine had one of these and liked it alot. He claimed it would hit 68 MPH with the stock 454 motor. However, it did have a nasty chine walk at WOT that was down right scary.
As with any boat purchase, take it for a test drive and make sure you are satisfied with its performance and handling before forking over the cash.
I would also have to agree that this is true. That hull runs good with small block power, but with 425 HP it might be white nuckels all the time. The 232, Hammer, or H2x are better hulls for BB engines.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Registered

What flavour 454 is it? 425hp sounds high....
Old 08-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by puzzleboy
What flavour 454 is it? 425hp sounds high....

He claims it is a worked over 330hp motor.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Registered

Talking

Yes he claims its a worked over 330hp motor. Also claims its an original bigblock boat. Between 70 and 80mph is good for me (right now that is lol) but my big concern is getting into a hull that may have some hidden issues not apparent to the naked eye (rotted wood etc). He claims the boat moves on out and very fast with 425hp. If i decide to fo to next step, ill definitely take it out for a test run.
What rpm & mphguestimation should this motor turn if running correctly & with proper prop? (i understand mph may be hard to calc.) I know my 200HP outboard runs 5800rpm wot.
I just like the looks of the caliber, hammers and such and its the length that will best fit our family situation right now. So would you suggest I hold out for a hammer or different hull? Im in the market for around $15,000. I want to use it racing around in the bay, along beaches sand bar hangouts, to take family out for some fun and once in a while me take it out to get my white knuckle on lol!!!
What about motors.....big block or small block? I love the nasty sound of thru hull exhaust (gives me w@@d ) Im just trying to make the best educated decision for the price range im in.
I guess what i want is:
The scaled down look of a fast offshore hull, mean sound that wakes the dead, something that will carry 4 - max 5 people with small cubby for break from sun (for kids), something in the 22ft range and something that will move out around 70+mph. I dont want a hull design that looks to dated and thats why im attracted to the hammer style hull. A few new graphics and you can take years off the look lol
Thanks for any info
Old 08-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Registered

for $15k i would think you can get a lot better/bigger boat than a 22 caliber. speed is nice, but you keep saying family, IMO thats not a good family boat.

you still havent said where you boat? those hulls like that dont take anything more than wind chop too well IMO if you got a kids with you. if you do go that route make sure it has tabs on it that will help a little

for reference i had a 20' outlaw for my 1st boat, it looked great ETC, but man if the wind wasnt calm and there wasnt lite traffic on the water the boat would just beat the crap outta you, my family didnt have much fun on it at all. solo i didnt care as i can take the beating. i do live on lake ontario so its a big lake for sure, all my buddys told me i was nuts looking at boats that small. anyway, we had to stay home many days due to wind cause i knew my family would just get pounded, while all my friends in there bigger boats could still go out and hit the water and have fun. we got caught in one good rain storm out of know where on it, not a fun ride in that boat.... cuddy isnt really big enough for adults at all IMO in those, heck even trying to make a cloths change is a pain in those crawl down cuddys. no spot for a porta potty either, important with kids if you ask me. no dedicated storage area in the cuddy either

I sold it and bought a 250 baja, night and day difference, been out in some pretty good sized waves and i dont worry about my family getting beat to pieces should the lake get rough or a storm roll in. the cuddy in the bigger boats actually has real room to store stuff in compartments so it doesnt fly all over the place, room for a porta potty, able to change cloths without having to be gumby, heck for that matter 4 people can lay down inside my cuddy. all in all i wish i never bought the 20' outlaw, the only reason i did buy it was the guy wanted it gone fast so i knew i would make money on it should i not like it so i kept it one season and sent it down the road at a profit.

good luck!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Good points there....
I live in the Tampa Bay area and would be doing alot of intercoastal riding with an occasional ride out to the beaches.
I own a 21Ft Offshore CC Fishing boat and it isnt really layed out for families at all. In fact its rated by coastguard for max 8 people but wouldnt feel comfortable with 5 adults.
I also live near a lake where we would be tubing alot.
My issue with a larger boat is I have nowhere to store it....with a 21-22ft i can still fit my garage.
Now whats the big diff with the caliber, the outlaw and the hammer? I found a nice 2001 hammer in near new condition.
Also what about motors? 5.7 or 7.4L? the caliber has 7.4 and the hammer is 5.7L...is there much difference between the two? performance? fuel consumption? etc?