25 OL's in a nut shell

Notices

25 OL's in a nut shell

Old 09-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 25 OL's in a nut shell

Is it a boat that can easily be pushed in the 80's? Does it handle well at that speed? For ones first "go fast" is it a good starting point, or should one go slightly larger? Looking at 2000-2002 models, my price range. Will be cruising rivers mostly, fairly calm to 2'-3' chop. Thanks, Richie.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered

I think the 25 OL is a great first performance boat....it's right on the edge of being able to be called a performance boat in my opinion. However, it depends what you want out of it. If you are looking for speed, the 25OL may not be your best option. I just repowered mine from a 496 mag(375 HP) that would run 63-65mph to a 540(approx 725-750 HP) and will run well into the 80's. It's not easy to get there and you need a steady hand and stomach to do it, but it can be done. The 25 will handle 2-3 ft chop just fine and actually handles it better at 45-60mph than it does at slower speeds. If you are on a river, the 25 OL should handle just about anything thrown at it except huge cruiser wakes.

I will say the 27 Fountain is also worth looking at....you can probably achieve a little higher speeds a bit easier than with the 25OL but you may give up easy handling abilities. I find that the 27 Fountain pms's a little more in chop than the outlaw does and you need to work the trim and tabs and such a little more, but it will probably do a "bit" more than the 25OL when it comes to pure performance.

Just my opinion....go drive both and decide for yourself!!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered

Personally looking to do 80 in your first boat is not the best idea. You should learn to drive a boat in all conditions first. Then worry about 80.

A 25OL is a great first boat. Pretty easy to drive, and handels rough water well. Lots of room for a boat in that size as well.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:22 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Bought my 25OL as my first "go fast" boat at 21 years old. Wouldnt change my choice at all! It's been a great first boat to learn on and has made many memories. The boat handles well and takes a small chop just fine. Not a Speed demon in anyway but for your first boat of this kind you need to learn the basics of running this style boat and the coast of running one. Before you buy a 80+ mph boat. Just my 2 cents and have been in your place before. Have my Baja listed on here for sale now. Learned what I needs to know and have masted the boat. Moving up and hate to sale it but can't have 2 go fasts boats.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks for your guys concern in my health and well being. Although this isn't my first boat by far, my family has always had boats growing up and i own a boat now also. I currently have a 17'9" bass boat (javelin) with a 150hp evinrude on it, with me and my dad in the boat and about 6 in the morning when the water is like glass the boat has hit 73mph on a hand held gps. I am just losing interest in fishing but still love being on the water. Also its kinda hard to put more than 2 people in my boat comfortably and go out and have fun. That's why i am looking for a performance boat, i still wanna go fast, but just be able to do it with 4+ people and be comfortable. 80 also isn't something i have to do right away, but as with all toys you soon become bored, thats why i was asking if it was a struggle to get 80 out of them or not, it's always fun to spice things up every once and a while.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I just got a 25 ol and love it , Its my first of my own, grew up on powerboats though, really loved them when I wasn't paying! Its a better riding boat than I expected, and rides 6 more comfortably than I thought it would. IMHO, get one run it until time to rebuild then go for broke!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Been doing quite a bit of research, pretty sure i am gonna start with a 25OL for my first performance boat, now i just need the gf to graduate college, cuz her grad present is me getting a boat for putting her through college....
Old 09-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RiReuter
Been doing quite a bit of research, pretty sure i am gonna start with a 25OL for my first performance boat, now i just need the gf to graduate college, cuz her grad present is me getting a boat for putting her through college....
Same thing here, I put the wife through school and she finally found a job, so her money is now my boat and real estate fund!
Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 AM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

You two guys made a great deal with the other halfs!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by caseyh
You two guys made a great deal with the other halfs!
Mine wasn't really a deal she was just sick of hearing about it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.