Baja by Fountain.

Notices

Baja by Fountain.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossett
Why would fountain replace that with stringers? That seems like a more advanced design.
Because there might have been one or two issue
with the liners
Old 09-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would fountain replace that with stringers? That seems like a more advanced design.
I cannot answer questions that happened at Fountain Powerboats in 09'. I do agree that it was a more advanced design IMO. There were other build methods along with the liner system that I did not agree with at Baja. I always felt the void between the hull, and liner should have been foam filled like a Whaler to eliminate the hollow sound from waves. A wood stringer w/carpet like the 29ol that I owned at that time did a better job with sound, but as stated before....once you get that musty smell, it's hard to get rid of in carpet. I think you will find many boat owners with liners defending them, and wood stringer owners supporting that system.

XT
Old 09-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default My....

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
with the liners
old 24' Sonic is a liner boat and I hate that part about it. The factory globs glue all over the inside of the hull and hope they get a good contact between liner/hull.
Both of mine pulled loose under the V berth in the bow and thats the only access place to inspect the liner/hull joint. But they save a ton on labor building them that way so........
Not that that's an important or highly loaded area or anything
I'd much rather have a traditional stringer boat. You lose a ton of interior space in a liner boat too.
The older stringer constructed Checkmates are huge inside compared to the newer/current liner style. Cockpit but especially in the cabins.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 09-13-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
with the liners
If your buying a 35 and it has a liner you need to check for cracks in the engine compartment where the liner meets the side of the boat. They had a ton of issues with the 30 Outlaws. I know a few people that received new boats they were so bad.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is my boat a liner boat or a stringer boat?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Is my boat a liner boat or a stringer boat?
95 24 O/L right ?....that would be stringer.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by russellhorn
I have probably one of the last 26 Outlaws made in Ohio and it is a liner boat. Personally I really like the construction as it has a much nicer finish and is easier to keep clean IMHO. No cracks, rattles, or other issues here and there are plenty of times where I drive it like I stole it
I agree with russellhorn. I really like how clean everything is and how easy it is to clean up. No cracks or rattles with mine either. Cabin is sweet and easy to clean as well. 4+ years and still smells new. Pretty sure cabin is not smaller as someone mentioned. Looks to be the same size or bigger as the older 25's with stringer system.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Registered

Are all the 33 & 36's stringer boats?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:18 AM
Teo
Registered

Originally Posted by mpally
Are all the 33 & 36's stringer boats?
Yepp.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 1,834 Likes on 717 Posts
Default True.

Originally Posted by socalstone
I agree with russellhorn. I really like how clean everything is and how easy it is to clean up. No cracks or rattles with mine either. Cabin is sweet and easy to clean as well. 4+ years and still smells new. Pretty sure cabin is not smaller as someone mentioned. Looks to be the same size or bigger as the older 25's with stringer system.
There are many benefits to a liner boat you listed most of them.
If engineered and constructed properly they are also plenty strong.
Many pf the cracking problems we see are from poor workmanship during assembly.
The bad is:
You cannot gain access in most instances to assure the integrity of that liner to hull bond so you have no way of knowing whats under there.

It hides everything construction wise so same as above applies.

If you have any void/breach in that seal over time and in an area where you get water, it will get under liner and never come out in most cases.

As far as space, the liner in my 24' sonic is approx. 8" away from hull on inside of cockpit. That means I'm losing 16" of bench seat length/storage area, same inside the sun lounge, same with bulkhead storage/lack there of from lounge seat to cabin bulkhead (life jackets, bumpers etc).

In the cuddy it's the same. My settee's are 8" narrower (they're against the liner walls), my vee berth is 16" narrower and about 12" shorter. This also eliminates any storage around the perimeter of the vee berth.

May not sound like a lot but it really is if you compare boat to boat and if you actually stay/weekend on the boat like we do.
By cutting into my liner I've added probably 20% storage space to my boat and it still gets packed full of crap.
In the attached picture you can see the three storage hatches I added to the vee birth and also in the liner above the vee birth.
There are one more on each side of walls not visible in picture and then the two under the settee's are orig.
Did same in sun lounge and cockpit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.