Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Hydraulic steering, is it worth it? >

Hydraulic steering, is it worth it?

Notices

Hydraulic steering, is it worth it?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

I can not believe that Mercruiser still can not address this tiller arm and pin situation.

I had a serious accident 30 years ago with a stock small block 19 footer at 60 mph on a small flat lake because of the tiller arm splines stripping off.

After researching the new design and change of the design from a spline to a square I realized it was a design flaw and had Mercury cover all my repair and injury expenses.

Anyways the fact these are still getting dangerously washed out at 300 hours is unacceptable from my point of view.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baja25sst
As I said, did mine (cable assist/hydraulic assist)-just not the full system. THe one problem I did have or continue to have is that at slow speed pulling into a slip or dock that the amount of fluid is insufficient to steer properly. The guy at IMCO said something about drilling out the power steering pump hole somewhere to allow more fluid to go through? Have not done that but going to do so. (maybe there is just another pump aftermarket that would make it work well?). I still love it, drive is solid!!
Drilling the fitting on the pump from a 496 is easy. I think the drill bit is 11/64. Remove the high pressure line from the pump and then remove the fitting from the bottom of the pump. Drill the fitting out and reinstall. I can post a pic of the line and fitting if you like.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

If your keeping your boat stock, why waste the money? I added the full Imco dual ram set up on my baja only as a necessity, at 80 mph the drive started to dance around, The imco set up created a very stable ride at high speeds, But again your safe under 70.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pacalim1965@yaho
If your keeping your boat stock, why waste the money? I added the full Imco dual ram set up on my baja only as a necessity, at 80 mph the drive started to dance around, The imco set up created a very stable ride at high speeds, But again your safe under 70.
Why would you be safe under 70. If your steering phucks up @ 65 you're screwed. Good handling is is also important at 65-70. It just makes the boat ride better and safer in all conditions. Each to their own I guess.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 10-13-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

65 MPH was the breaking point at Baja Marine, and 70 MPH is the Mercury number.

XT
Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Registered

Might as well put air bags in it as well .....better safe than sorry!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pacalim1965@yaho
Might as well put air bags in it as well .....better safe than sorry!
Right.