Oil Change >

Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change

Old 06-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

This will be my first time changing the boat oil.....97 Hammer with the 454 Mag. I was wondering how many quarts she'll take, any idea? I'm planning to use Mercruiser Oil and filter....not sure of the weight just yet.
Old 06-13-2002, 09:14 AM
Registered

I have twin 454 Mags and use the Mercruiser Oil Filter and Valvoline racing 40 weight oil. She'll take 8 quarts -- 7 quarts dry + 1 quart for the oil filter when you fire her up.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:14 AM
JAX25OUTLAW

I definently recommend the straight 40 weight racing oil from valvoline. Doesn't matter how hard or hot she runs this stuff just keeps its viscosity and pressure stays fine. Make sure you get the performance oil filter which is larger (taller) than the standard filter and gives you more oil volume and less restriction to flow.

Old 06-13-2002, 05:20 PM
Registered

While I'm at it, is it hard to change the oil myself? I've read where I'll need a drain hose that replaces the drain plug and runs out the transom, is this correct? Or whats the easiest way to do it?
Old 06-13-2002, 06:02 PM
Allan4

There are a few different ways. You can just let it flow into the bilge, put a drain pan underneath the drain plug in the haul and then squirt Palmolive in the bilge and squirt it out when you are done. Additionally, they make pumps that go into the dip stick hole and run off a drill motor (or a elec. motor is included) or you can install a tube in place of the drain plug and either drain it out the back of the boat (again) or you can use a pump and pump it out. Big blocks typically come with a 7 qt pan, but my 509 has an 8 qt pan. Easy way to get it right, just fill 'er up until it hits full on the dipstick. Should be done that way everytime anyway.

I am going to run a full synthetic with the new motor, probably Valvoline or Mobile 1 20w-50 Synthetic to be exact. Not sure which one yet, but for the most part oil is oil (assuming same wieght) so it is more important to keep it fresh than what brand you use.

Old 06-13-2002, 06:50 PM
Registered

Your dipstick tube should have some thread on the end of it. You can buy a pump with a nut that thread onto your dipstick tube. Then, you just pump it out into an old bowl or something.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:20 AM
voodoo

I bought a "Pella " brand suction pump from Overtons last year. It is a tall cylinder that hold 6-7 quarts. It comes with 2 different size tubes you stick down the dipstick tube. Just warm your engine up for 10 minites on the hose, pump up a vacuum and suck the hot oil out. It works great but you have to have the oil hot. Absolutely no mess.

Old 06-18-2002, 05:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Have you guys read Teague's column in the new PB regarding using reg instead of synthetic oil for marine applications?
Carl
29 Outlaw