Outdrive question

Notices

Outdrive question

Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdrive question

Just picked my boat up from being winterized and towed it to where it stays during the winter and after blocking up the boat and trailer so the tires aren't sitting on the concrete but I couldn't get the outdrive to lower and noticed the gear lube was really low and the cap was lose so I added gear lube and put the cap back on tight but still couldn't lower it. Does the gear lube need to build up pressure for the outdrive to work right. The marina that did the work is closed till Monday so I can't ask them until then.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I am assuming you are talking about filling up your drive gear oil resevoir in your engine compartment. If so that oil has nothing to do with the drive going up and down. There will be a separate pump and lube container/resevoir that should be full. When you push your switch to raise and lower the drives can you hear your pump running?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks. I thought that was the one that operated it. Know there isn't any sound when I push the down and even the up doesn't work. I'll have to get out the owners manual then and see where that pump is to see if it's full.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Are you batteries connected or did they un-hook themn for winter? If there is no sound (pump running) you may just need to reset your circuit breaker. If it is not the circuit breaker it could be the switch has gone bad or the pump motor quit.
I have had to reset the circuit breaker on mine before after towing the boat over a bumpy road.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The batteries were disconnected but I was using a battery pack to operate everything. I tried pushing the reset button but maybe I didn't push it had enough. I can try that again. You are talking about the red button by the battery switch correct?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Registered

yes , and if your drive makes noise and it was low you might have air trapped in it you might have to open up a line and bleed the air out like brakes on a car,
Old 11-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the help. I know it was working fine when I pulled it out I'll try looking for the pump first and go from there.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Make sure you turn the ignition key on...
Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Registered

If you have the batteries disconnected, where were you hooking up the box? If the batteries are disconnected, depending on how you connected the box, it may not be making a circuit (two batteries)
Old 11-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was using the post by the battery post which I assume it would still operate the outdrive since everything else was hot when I hooked it up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.