Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Should I buy it? Baja 252 >

Should I buy it? Baja 252

Notices

Should I buy it? Baja 252

Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 2001 252 Islander. It runs 58-62 with 2 people and full fuel. 496 Mag (375 hp) with a B1 22p prop. Actually it ran 62 before I had merc update the PCM and now 58 is about the best it will do, but the transom is much cleaner and the mileage improved. I guess the early tunes were rich and good for power.

In any event, the Instatrim (Boat Leveler) systems used by Baja are adequate for this boat. They are also not really necessary for just general boating. I find they are handy for smoothing out the ride in rough conditions or balancing the boat, but if you don't have them you won't really miss them. The 252 planes nicely without them and runs out nice also. I have generally found it to be a well balanced hull.

Actaully not having tabs may be a big plus because Baja was not always real good about sealing the screw holes and that has caused many a rotted transom. No worries about that on the boat you are interested in as there are no screws!

If the boat is sound, then you would be hard pressed to find a nicer all around, easily trailerable performance boat. Perhaps not the fastest, but no real vices either.

Good luck and enjoy,

Dan
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BajaDan
I've got a 2001 252 Islander. It runs 58-62 with 2 people and full fuel. 496 Mag (375 hp) with a B1 22p prop. Actually it ran 62 before I had merc update the PCM and now 58 is about the best it will do, but the transom is much cleaner and the mileage improved. I guess the early tunes were rich and good for power.

In any event, the Instatrim (Boat Leveler) systems used by Baja are adequate for this boat. They are also not really necessary for just general boating. I find they are handy for smoothing out the ride in rough conditions or balancing the boat, but if you don't have them you won't really miss them. The 252 planes nicely without them and runs out nice also. I have generally found it to be a well balanced hull.

Actaully not having tabs may be a big plus because Baja was not always real good about sealing the screw holes and that has caused many a rotted transom. No worries about that on the boat you are interested in as there are no screws!

If the boat is sound, then you would be hard pressed to find a nicer all around, easily trailerable performance boat. Perhaps not the fastest, but no real vices either.

Good luck and enjoy,

Dan
Just a suggestion. If you can get your hands on them, try a Mirage+ and Revolution4 in 21" or 23", depending on what rpms you are currently spinning. Should put you at 60+. The B1 is neutral in its lift and have very little bow lift in stock form, this is needed on the Bajas. You "only" have a 25' boat, so not really a need for the big bladed large diameter wheel. As said, just a thought.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Registered

Hey Guys thanks for the awesome info especially from people who actually own the same boat or similar. I actually put money down on the boat and the owner is keeping it in storage for me for the winter. Im really lookiing forward to it because i love the boat so much!

Ryan...
Old 01-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Registered

Can anyone explain prop pitch to me? again im new to all of this. So in simplest terms what does a higher pitch (23p) do to a boat compared to a lower pitch like a (21).
Old 01-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered

Yes you will want tabs on st. Clair its a washing machine most Sundays. Call Lenny at Millennyum Marine 586-405-8702.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nauti Dreams
Can anyone explain prop pitch to me? again im new to all of this. So in simplest terms what does a higher pitch (23p) do to a boat compared to a lower pitch like a (21).
The number tells you how many inches the prop will, in theory, move forward pr. revolution. This is where it gets funny though. Prop slip. In the real world, a prop will "slip". This cannot be avoided, simply because the prop would not work. You need a high and low pressure side to produce thrust. If there is no slip, there is no thrust. This means a 24" prop does not move 24" through the water, theoretically it will, but in practice with 10% slip, it will actually move 21,6" through the water. This is why when we are talking about prop effeciency, to a certain degree, prop slip numbers are part of the big picture, but other factors are involved as well.

Don't think too much about slip, just know that numbers between 8%-12% are good numbers for your type of boat. Use an online prop slip calculator to find your number. Remember that you will need GPS speed. If you want to know more, google prop slip. It's a pretty long explanation.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 01-09-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered

Herring has a free prop slip app.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Hering has a free prop slip app.
Awsome little tool for sure.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Just a suggestion. If you can get your hands on them, try a Mirage+ and Revolution4 in 21" or 23", depending on what rpms you are currently spinning. Should put you at 60+. The B1 is neutral in its lift and have very little bow lift in stock form, this is needed on the Bajas. You "only" have a 25' boat, so not really a need for the big bladed large diameter wheel. As said, just a thought.
Thanks A.O. I have been wanting to try a Rev 4 for some time now. I keep hearing good things about them. The M+ also but don't hear much good about them in stock form. The B1 gives excellent mpg (3 at 30-40 mph) so I am assuming little slip, but you're right, not so hot for top end. This is probably particulary true on our boat as the prop shaft depth is really deep (8 inches below keel).

We are fortunate enough to get to take the boat to the gulf a couple of times a year. There is a spot on the ICW in Gulf Shores where the ICW is right next to the road. Boats and cars seperated by 20 yards or so. It is great fun to outpace traffic. You can do it at 58, but at 62 it was much more noticable. For that reason, if no other, I would like to get those 4 mph back!

Have fun,

Dan
Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BajaDan
Thanks A.O. I have been wanting to try a Rev 4 for some time now. I keep hearing good things about them. The M+ also but don't hear much good about them in stock form. The B1 gives excellent mpg (3 at 30-40 mph) so I am assuming little slip, but you're right, not so hot for top end. This is probably particulary true on our boat as the prop shaft depth is really deep (8 inches below keel).

We are fortunate enough to get to take the boat to the gulf a couple of times a year. There is a spot on the ICW in Gulf Shores where the ICW is right next to the road. Boats and cars seperated by 20 yards or so. It is great fun to outpace traffic. You can do it at 58, but at 62 it was much more noticable. For that reason, if no other, I would like to get those 4 mph back!

Have fun,

Dan
With the deep prop, an M+ should work just fine for top end. Epecially if you have Bblades put a double cup on it. I would go as far to say that a cupped M+ would give you 4-5 mph over the B1. What rpms are you spinning now? Again, for over all performance, the Rev4 still beats the B1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.