Should I buy it? Baja 252

Notices

Should I buy it? Baja 252

Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I buy it? Baja 252

Hello all!

newbie here to OSO and my first post. I love the site and all the imformation that is packed into it!. I recently came across a beautiful Baja 252 that I absolutely love! I am willing and ready to buy the boat but unfortunately when I went to look at the boat it does not have trim tabs/k planes or a depth finder it was obviously ordered without those two options.

This will be my very first boat I have owned but have been boating since I was young with family and friends. So my question is... can these two items be installed on the boat with ease? and should it alter my decision in purchasing the boat?

Can anyone reccomend a reputable shop in the southeast michigan area to install them? I want it done right and it makes my skin curl knowing holes will be drilled in the boat to install, hence why I want it done properly.

Lastly it has Merc 7.4mpi 310hp how many quarts of oil does this engine take? doesnt have a owners manual with the boat.

Your suggestions and help will greatly be appreciated!

Thank's
Ryan...
Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 252

I just sold my 252 back in August and I loved it...mine did have the tabs and depth gauge and I have to say in my case the tabs were a must. Mine was supercharged and i needed to tabs to level out from from the prop torque, and as i learned how to use them they were nice in adjusting the ride according to the water conditions. I would think any good shop could handle the depth gauge but i woould make sure someone with experience installed the tabs. You may also want to factor in the cost of the tabs, i just had the factory "Boat Levelor" tabs but depending on what you want it can get inot bigger $$
Old 01-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Registered

i would think with the 7.4 it is a high 50 maybe on a good day 60 mph boat could get by with an inexpensive tab may $300 to $400
Old 01-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Registered

Run the boat without tabs first, and see if you even need them for where you boat. I almost never use them on my 272. And some people have had transom rot issues because the screws attaching the tabs to the boat allowed water to seep in.

If you're at all mechanically inclined, the depth sounder is an easy install. If not, shouldn't cost much to put in. Try to get one with a through hull transducer.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback Bigred! I bet you did love it... Sad to hear you had to sell it. I was looking at some tabs on diamondperformanceparts.com website and yes they are very pricey! $$$$.$$

As you said I was thinking the same thing that the tabs would be neccesary for the stability of the boat with not only getting it on plane much faster but also for speed as well.

Mach1... you are right, the owner of the boat said it tops out at 52mph with the 3 blade prop thats on it which is great for me as im not looking to break any Lake St. Clair speed records lol.

Although it makes me wonder and I never asked him if the 3 blade came on the boat from the factory or a 4 blade. I would assume a 4 blade and it would probably be a better blade for that boat but I will leave that to the pros over at BBlades to figure out.

I certainly like your reccomendation of a cheap by comparison 300 to 400 dollar trim tab for the boat which would probably be sufficient for it and hopefully others can chime in on that idea too.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Registered

Thanks for your input as well Puzzleboy and thats good to hear you never really use your tabs and your boat is 2 feet bigger! I think I will try it without and see how it works.

These performance boats are all new to me so I may be suprised that the boat doesnt need them especially with the stock engine. The only mod i was going to add to the engine was a nice set of CMI Headers. I was thinking the same thing about the depth finder as i could probably instakk it myself.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Registered

ebay tabs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Insta-Trim-B...ht_5131wt_1344
Old 01-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Registered

Why headers? They cost a pretty penny. Not much bang for your buck. Run the boat until you want to go faster, then buy a faster boat.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Registered

I have a 25 outlaw and never use tabs! you could install dep finder ur self!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seltzer
Why headers? They cost a pretty penny. Not much bang for your buck. Run the boat until you want to go faster, then buy a faster boat.
+1

Don't spend your money on headers. If anything, get a good labbed prop for top end. IF you are dead set on headers, go for the KEs instead of the CMIs. No leaks.

Leave it alone and run it like you stole it. Buy the faster boat when you are ready to step up. Just take a look and do a search, many have been chasing mph, and it has been an expensive and bumpy ride for most.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 01-07-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.