Need help with choices... >

Need help with choices...

Notices

Need help with choices...

Old 01-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with choices...

Ok... I'm going to list my current Baja for sale in the spring and Im hoping to move it quickly as it will be listed for 9K. Having run a 240 sport for some time, I am ready to step up to a larger go fast and there are three Baja's that I am considering.

1) 36 Outlaw. Most room out of the three for extended hours on board and overnight stays.

2) 33 Outlaw. Close to the 36 in amenities but a little lighter and little shorter for towing and docking. And should be a little faster.

3) 29 Outlaw. This would be the fastest of the three I would guess and probably the most available/affordable. I have been on board one and I know the cuddy and cockpit are smaller than the other two.

So my dilemma is I would like to have that compromise of comfort and speed. I do plan on doing poker runs in the future and also overnight trips with the boat. What's your guys thoughts?? Also, what are the weights of the boats? My current truck has a tow rating of 15k lbs. Any input will be helpfull from current or past owners of these boats. Thanks

Jason
Old 01-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't comment on truck because I don't know the boat weights. What I can say is the 36 will not be any harder to tow and launch than a 33. If you have plans for the future consider them now and buy accordingly. My boat is 32'7" / 34'11" overall with drives and platform and 39.5' including trailer. If I was in the position again I would go 38' without question.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Registered

The 36 will be the best ride because of it's weight and ability to crush waves, but will be alot slower than the 33 with same power. 33OL IMO was best hull Baja produced. Lot's of cockpit space and fast hull with equal power. 29 is similar to my 302 except cockpit space is cramped behind rear bolsters, but otherwise a well laid out boat. You will be able to tow all 3 boats with a truck capable of 15k towing capacity.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the large cockpit area in both the 33 and 36. I have towed a Formula 351 with my truck before so i have an idea about the ability to tow in this range. Seeing as most of my boating is here on the rivers in Pittsburgh, Im not sure if the speed advantage of the 33 would be better over the little bit more room in the 36... The 40 OL is a monster but now your talking tripples to make it do anything respectable and thats not in my budget.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishtornado
The 36 will be the best ride because of it's weight and ability to crush waves, but will be alot slower than the 33 with same power. 33OL IMO was best hull Baja produced. Lot's of cockpit space and fast hull with equal power. 29 is similar to my 302 except cockpit space is cramped behind rear bolsters, but otherwise a well laid out boat. You will be able to tow all 3 boats with a truck capable of 15k towing capacity.
+1

33ol is almost as fast as a 29ol, if not faster sometimes and the 36ol is a wave crusher, but requires 500 HP's or better.

I will vouch for bajaricks 33ol he has for sale. We did some work on it and it's a nice boat with HO's.

XT
Old 01-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from a 226es/240 sport to a 29 Outlaw. It was a great move to make. I found it was very similar to the 226 when it came to towing and launching. Storage was easier to find and I could get in to gas stations pretty easily.
I won't toot my own horn, but a 29 can be made very fast & will ride much better when set up correctly. Extension boxes were my best modification in terms of ride & handling went.
Expect high 60's with anything under 350hp a side, low 70's with 385's & 415's, mid to high 70's with 425's.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Registered

I think a "newer" 33 is gonna be almost as fast as a 29 with equal power. I think the 33's got faster and faster as the years went on.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 129 Likes on 51 Posts

Yep, even Baja will tell you that the 33 was the best boat they made. I like the 36's but like others said takes a ton of power to run...a 33 with HO's run great and 29's with MAGs and HO's run fantastic as well. Have driven them all and all have their +'s and -'s just depends on your budget. If your truck has a tow rating of 15K you will be fine with any of them so long as it isn't a 1/2 ton claiming a tow rating of 15K....anybody can tow, it's how well you control and stop. Let me know in the Spring...I have an 03 29 with HO's that is for for sale, just not advertised...
Old 01-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered

As 29OL, XT and others have already stated, the 33 is an awsome hull. Good balance make it fast for its size and weight and as a true 33' it's pretty roomy. Between the 3 you listed, a 33 hands down. Don't think too much about launch and retrive. It's not a big deal, you'll get used to it fast. If I should make a list of the best boats value for money ever made, the 33 would be in the top 3.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have 33 OL with 500 efi engines. We love the boat it has a huge cockpit and the cabin has enough room to overnight a few nights. Ours has air condition, pump out electric head, fridge, and stove. I tow it with a 2500 hd chevy, it tows well with the diesel engine. Gas stations can be hard to access, so I usually go to truck stops. I do have a aux. fuel tank in the truck, so I can travel about 1,500 between fill ups. I launch it a lot by myself, so launching and docking is very easy.
Attached Thumbnails Need help with choices...-photo.jpg   Need help with choices...-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by Steel Outlawed; 01-17-2012 at 07:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.