Notices

36 Update

Old 06-23-2002, 11:48 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 36 Update

36 Update.

Picked up the 36 at the dealer Saturday morning. The wife and I did not get any sleep Friday night.

The dealer had really checked it out well, and I'm glad to report that it is exactly what we orderd. It came in with all the right equipment and colors etc., and most importantly EVERYTHING works. The dealer did have to fix the speedo pickup tube and correct a wiring error on one of the stereo amps, but all was taken care of before we got it.

Dropped it in the water about 10:00 am, and it was like I had been driving it forever. The dealer answered all our questions and turned us loose. He called us twice on the cell phone during the day to make sure all was well.

WOW, it is awesome. The 24 degree deadrise all the way makes the boat lean a lot more into a turn than I was use to. That along with the long bow and if you are making a right turn you lose site of everthing on the left.

The 500's are very nice, but I am disapointed in those big mufflers. The 502 mag in my last boat was much louder. I will have to do something about this in the future. I want to hear those headers SING!

The first dock we stopped at was a buddy with a 38 Fountain. Yes the Baja is just as long as his 38, more cockpit room and a lot more room in the cuddy.

Many nice suprises, but the Clarion, Polk Audio, MOMO stereo system has to be one of the better ones. Two amps, head unit with CD, 6 disk changer, three subs, six speakers and six twetters. It really sounds bad. I do not know exactly what Baja charged for it, but I added up all the equipment in the last Boaters World catalog and it came to over $2000. There are also two remotes that are full display, one at the helm and one in the cuddy next to the AC controls.

Trying to breakin these engines the right way, so I did not exceed 4,000 RPM's. Currently have 5 hours on the boat. At 4000 on the mark, no tabs, and the drives at 4 1/2 to 5 she is running 60 MPH on the big Monster speedo. Right around 3300 RPM was a nice 55 MPH cruise.

The ride is GREAT. The only boat I have driven that rode as good was a 42 Fountain. Norman is a large lake, it can get very rough on weekends and there was a nice wind Saturday, but we could not find anything to make it exciting. The boat went through the biggest cruiser wakes we could find with just a little bow rise.

The boat is pushing 26 pitch 4-blade props both pushing out with full Latham hydraulic steering. It pops on plane easier than any boat I have been in. With the tabs at about 5 1/2 I would ease the trottles to three thousand and just start triming up the drives and away we would go. Put the tabs up and it took just a little longer, maybe a couple of seconds. Put them way down and instant plane. Little to no bow rise with any of the tab settings, as long as you do not start triming up the drives to fast.

Loading and unloading was a breeze with the Myco. It is about impossible to make a mistake with it.

The wife drove it a few miles, but she was a little afraid of that long nose. She use to go out in the 272 with her girls friends, but because we have to trailer the 36 it is a different story. I'm sure she will learn to drive it well though.

We spent today day putting on decals, loading gear, reading manuals, cleaning, putting on the full mooring cover, etc, etc, etc, etc. Ready to go next weekend.

I will keep everyone posted as we go along and get those 500's broke in. So far, so good.

Will get some nice pictures next weekend. There are a lot of Baja's on our lake. But we have the only 36 I know of. I does look wicked in the water. I have never had a boat that so many people want to get a look at. They all like it, but the one common statement was "WOW, this boat has a lot of room on it".

Take care all and safe boating.

Mark
Old 06-24-2002, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,
Thanks for the update. Seems as if you are really taking the time to get to understand your boat. Can't wait to hear how your boat runs wide open and the numbers it will post.

By the way, I'm the one who bought your left overs from your old 272...break that 36' in right and when you are done with it, give me a call or email and maybe we can work a deal!!!!!!!!!

Later, Mike.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Boss!
Congratulations once again and it's great to 'hear' the excitement in your post.

Your experiences are invigorating even at this early hour. Best of luck with it.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BTW, what do you tow that bad boy with?
Old 06-24-2002, 08:30 AM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Mark
Sounds like you're having a great time with the new boat,hope ALL keeps going well for ya.And you're right they do look wicked on the water,thats one of the main reasons I bought mine.
I don't have an ego hangup,but damn it sure does make ya feel good when youn get all those big eyed looks.
Have fun !!!!!!
Steve
Old 06-24-2002, 01:02 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Hey Mike,

How are things in Ohio? Hope you have not run into anymore of those 4-5 footers in the 272. LOL

I wish you were here yesterday to help me put that full mooring cover on the 36. I went with Sunbrella this time and it was major heavy. The wife and I were both on ladders tugging with that thing.

Daze,

It is always a pleasure to read your replies. I look forward to coming down to Florida and doing some boating with you.

I just bought a new Ford F350 4x4 crew cab dually powerstroke. It pulled the boat great. My wife has a V-10 Excursion that I plan to hook it to just to see how it handles it. The boat weighed in at 8400 pounds on the scale on the crain. The trailer weighs 2200 pounds according to Myco. with fuel, gear, etc. it will be close to 12,000 lbs.

Steve,

At this time we are the ONLY 36 Outlaw on Lake Norman. There are a couple of 33's, many 29's and a LOT of 25's. This year there is a new Outerlimits and a new Hustler on the lake along with several new cats, 25-28 foot range. But I am the only 36 Outlaw, and main does that thing attract attention.

I will keep you all update on how it comes along and I plan on getting some more pictures this weekend to post.

Thanks Mark
Old 06-24-2002, 01:51 PM
Registered

Talking

Mark,
Things in Ohio are very hot, very dry and very humid! Water temps are climbing in this weather. Man, I bet you and the wife dropped a few beads of sweat puttin' that cover on! To bad a good neighbor didn't come over to help!!! Would have made things easier.

Have fun with the new boat.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:37 PM
btrysNOTincld

Thumbs up

Waaaaayyyyyy Coooool, Boss! And I dig the name you've chosen!

I had a 272 a while back and upgraded to the 342 Boss, so I know the feeling of seeing that big nose out in front of you! It's great!!!

BTW, once you've gotten her broken in, set up your GPS and do a little tinkerin' with your drive trim at WOT. I found that the trim required for max speed on the bigger boats is a lot less than with the 272. Not sure why, but I used to trim between 5.5 and 6 on the 272 for max speed, but the big boat actually runs fastest around 4-4.5. Check it out. And I KNOW you're having an awesome summer! Enjoy, we're all happy for you!

Old 06-25-2002, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Boss!

I appreciate your kind words! ...And you're a Ford guy, Too!!!
Man, you have my ultimate dream combo in a truck and Boat!!! Too
Old 06-25-2002, 10:08 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Hey Batteries

Thanks for the heads up on the trim. I will definately have to play around with that. Glad you like the name, that was the wife's choice and I think she did well.

Daze,

I must confess. Until last year I was NOT a Ford guy. I was the guy that always hammered the Ford owners. Then I started looking closely at what the guys drove that towed for a living and it was Ford.

The wife got a little mad when I traded her Jeep grand cherokee in on a Denali. She wanted an Excursion. Well she got the Excursion and I was hooked. Those super duties are awesome. Because I was in the market for something myself, the timing wa perfect to go with the F350. So far I love it. Getting the spray-in bedliner Thursday, then Friday they are adding a Billet grill and mud flaps, and in about ten days they are adding a fuel cell/toolbox in the bed. Theis is a 50 gallon fuel tank in the bottom half and a tool box in the top half all diamond plate that locks. A great place for jacks, tools, wheel chocks, etc. Then I will be completely broke. That is all, no more, nothing, etc.

Quick Reply: 36 Update

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.