Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Pics of my 90 BAJA 265 DVX.  Lots of pics no 56k... >

Pics of my 90 BAJA 265 DVX. Lots of pics no 56k...

Notices

Pics of my 90 BAJA 265 DVX. Lots of pics no 56k...

Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you for the info

I barely ever use my tabs, unless there is two people on one side and I on the other. Other wise there all the way up. I'm wondering how I can get the front half higher out of the water. I can trim the motor up more but then she starts to really bounce.

Well tomorrow I'm going to the st. Croix river and using a buddies 25p mirage plus prop that is perfect. His Scarab is down so I'm going to use it for testing since both my props are damaged.

Before I put it in the water I will set the tabs level with the hull. All the way up, where I normally run them, they are about 5 degrees up. (Very little)
Old 07-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard some of these hulls have a lot of hook built in and others don't have much at all. I have no clue as to if this is true or a not but that would sure scrub off speed and keep bow down if it did have to much hook Make sure you don't have a bunch of extra junk piled into the cabin. Say 50 pounds near the bow has a leverage effect greater than you might think. I don't have tab indicators so I just adjust to what feels right. Also you might try running just a little tab down to try to stop the porpoising . Trim up a little at a time till you start to see/feel it want to start to bounce then back trim down a hair and give the tabs a touch down and see how it responds. It also of depends on fuel load,wind , current, stowaway fat chicks, etc.. How big do the waves get where you go? I am on Lake Of The Ozarks and it is anywhere from glass smooth to maybe a 6 foot or more washing machine on a real busy day with a lot of bigger boats out. In fact, my front compartment in the bow has a wakeboard fat sack in to ballast the front to help smooth out the ride when in gets rough.
It works good enough that I plan to make a permanent tank with fill and dump on the go capability this next winter.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Registered

dont waste your time with the 25p mirage, it will be too much prop for that boat. it wont come on plane easy and you wont be able to pull enough rpms.

i have a '90 250 sport which is very close to the same boat as yours and i have 470Hp in mine and it wouldnt pull the 25p in the rpm range it should so i sold it. a 23p mirage + will give you the best mph, a 24p bravo one 4 blade prop will give you the best on time to plane speed and a good overall ride and you only give up a few mph at most. i have a 23p mirage+ and the bravo 4 blade 24p and the 4 blade is the one i almost always run as it gives the best overall results. pretty much only time i run the 23p is if i know i'm going to be WFO a lot of the day running against my buddys boat, heck the 4 blade still gets me 67-68 on the gps.

have fun with your new boat!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 AM
Registered

gsxr 1216 , what rpm and mph are you running with the mirage and the bravo? Does the 3 blade carry the bow better/worse than the 4 blade? I have been told by a prop shop that 4 blade are better on stepped hulls and 3 blade is what a nonstepped should be using. What have you found? I have the early blunt nose bravo drive and do have some issues with blowing out the prop sometimes, do you see any real difference with that between 3blade and 4 blade? I agree that a 25p is to much prop for 92nsx but it's better to figure that out with a loaner than to buy one, the props he has look so bad his rpm/speeds are nonsensical and can't really provide any sort of baseline. I think that a 23p or 21p Mirage Plus will achieve the fastest speed but I don't have any 4 blade prop experience
Old 07-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered

Well guys hard evidence is hard evidence and results are really weird. Here we go....

Will the 25p mirage plus I used was a solid hub first of all (different then mine with the plastic insert and brass pieces) so it didn't fit all the way down to the drive. There was a 1/8" gap it so at the base. The washer/shim would need to be different if I stayed with his prop. With the 25 I did 56 mph at 4800-5000 rpms! If I trimmed way up I could bounce it off the rev limiter! I had to take it real easy out of the hole other wise it would prop wash... Even at plain it I WTO, it would prop wash. Once back on shore here is what we came up with...

The gap at the base could have been letting exhaust out thus air getting onto the prop causing the excess prop slip. His props are tuned for his 33' twin 502's Scarab. There is noticeably less rake and cup to his props comparison to mine. So what is going on... I don't know maybe it is just destiny for her to go 56-57, lol. I'm thinking I should repair my 23 and tune the prop from there.

Any other ideas? By the way the 33' Scarab runs 77 mph

Last edited by 92nsx; 07-09-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Registered

At this point I would make sure there is no hull damage that is disrupting water flow to the drive. A 25p at 5000 is way more than 56 mph, that's for sure. I don't have a clue if the exhaust could cause this much ventilation but it might be possible. I would call BBlades propellers and talk to them, they have a testing program where you can basically rent a prop for a week or something like that for around $50. That way you can dial in the best prop without spending a fortune on different ones. They also do repair and custom tuning of the prop. I have never had any dealings with them but everything I've heard has been positive.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Registered

Ill check out the hull, but i havent seen anything super alarming. I know the dream o meter pick up drages in the water along with the depth sonar/ thingy

I know my Tach "jumps" around every now and a then. I should really look for a replacement to confirm the rpms. 1989force, do you know where we could buy a new gauge that matches the other OEM ones, or am I stuck buying one that dont match the others?

Below is the video from Sunday of my Baja from the 42 Scarab. He taged it wrong (272 when were 265).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67hQAZyLEfU
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Registered

Double post.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Registered

Old 07-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, the fact that you bought that boat for $6500 is making me physically ill. I would love to have a deal like that land in my lap! I have a 1988 Force 235, which is very close to the same hull as the 265 DVX - essentially, yours has 3 extra feet in the cabin, and they just switched from the Force to the DVX name in 1990.

One thing I will tell you up front about these hulls - they have a really tough time carrying the bow. Even my 235, at 3 feet less length, struggles to get the nose out of the water. Forget about removing the factory hooks or "ramps" from the hull. I did this, and saw no gain, other than maybe a little extra porpoising. Waste of time and money. Look at the layout of the cockpit on this boat compared to most other "go-fast" style boats in this size range. What you will notice is how much room there is between the front and back seats (one of the things I really like about them, BTW). To do this, Baja pushed the helm and front seat forward, which puts more weight out towards the nose. This gives the extra room, but the penalty is a nose down ride, and you also probably feel the waves more sitting further forward. These boats also have a relatively shallow 22* deadrise on the hull, which means they ride a little rougher than other hulls that have the deeper 24* vee. I have often lamented the fact that Baja did not design in more deadrise for a smoother ride, but they sold these boats with a wide range of power, and they were looking for easy planing. Heck, mine came with a small block and Alpha.

With the right prop (19 Mirage Plus or 21 Mirage), you should see somewhere around 62 - 64 MPH. I think these boats ran around 55 with a stock 330, and maybe 60 with a 454 Mag back in the day.

Congratulations on your purchase! If you ever want to turn it loose, you would have a waiting buyer down here in KY! BTW, how does your Escalade handle towing that beast?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.