Importance of reputable survey! >

Importance of reputable survey!

Notices

Importance of reputable survey!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importance of reputable survey!

I can't stress enough the importance of an adequate survey on a used boat purchase. I recently purchased a 2000 baja h2x with a 7.4 mpi. The water test went well and the boat had a recent service at trade winds marine in Indiana and received a clean bill of health. I took the boat to have the trailer gone through and new tires put on it and have a fluid change and once over on the boat before we left for vacation. To make a long story short there was water in the motor after the test run and the motor had low compression in a couple of the cylinders requiring a rebuild. The valves on the motor had more corrosion and damage than I have ever seen on the valves. The exhaust manifolds ended up being cracked internally and all said and done the repair bill is almost 9000 dollars. Not bad for a boat I have never used! The previous owner accused me of doing something to the boat and tradewinds marina said everything looked fine to them. I believe the owner and the other marina were friends and unloaded the boat with a clean bill of health to me. So much for honesty! So please do yourself a favor and have a survey done on any purchase. I learned the hard way. I have 34k in a baja h2x that I doubt is worth even close to that! Thanks for listening! I hope to enjoy this boat on the river in Cincinnati soon. What a disaster
Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Registered

I've never heard of anyone getting a survey on something that small. I guess they would/could, though.

You could order a complete long block for less $9k. Did you take it back to the same dealership that gave it a "clean bill of health?"
Old 07-24-2012, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Points! I went through the same thing a few years back, made the mistake of buying a boat in the "winter", "looked" like a great boat, until the following Spring when I had to have the top of the motor redone and the gimbal ring replaced, GRRRR!!!!

Buyer beware I suppose.....
Old 07-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Registered

The marina that checked it out prior just played "stupid". Mthe exhaust manifolds ended be cracked as well inflating the repair bill even more. The response from the marina and the previous owner was " there's was nothing wrong with that boat before you took it". We've been discussing with our attorney any possibilities we would have to recover anything but I highly doubt it. A lesson learned an expensive one.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Registered

Where is the $9k bill coming from? You could have built a nice strong motor for that much. It shouldn't have cost anywhere near that for a stock rebuild on a 454, or even a 502.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Registered

You could have bought a 450hp rebuilt with a 1 year warranty for around $3000.
http://remanufactured.com/marine%208...%20engines.htm
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Registered

Things snowballed! Emi exhaust manifolds where cracked, exhaust flappers where gone replaced with corsa stuff, y pipe issues, etc etc this includes trailer tires, bearings etc.. Pretty much a new boat, if I would have known so many other issues would have come up I would have purchased a new drop in motor
Old 07-24-2012, 04:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Boating.

the stories We could tell. Be thankful it wasnt Twins!!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Registered

That sucks, but you should have a nice ride for many years. Cincy area is a nice place to boat.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Z06, I have heard your story form the begining, and I am on your side....but like Quinlan said......the stories we could tell you!

In the sellers' defense, that exhaust problem may have shown its ugly face after winter storage. It is not common practice for anyone summer prepping an engine to do a leakdown or compression test, if it runs good off it goes. Us performance guys check our oil sticks like crazy in the spring, just in case a leak was created over the winter. Damage can be caused to a boat in seconds, much easier than a car. That marina has prob seen situations like this before, and history has shown him most times the novice boater is wrong.

Again, I dont think you are in the wrong in this situation, and am glad you are persistant enough to keep the dream alive (we lose most new boaters in your position) Just wanted you to hear the other side, and just know this is all part of boating. We have all had our summers milked away, wallets drained, and had to ride on others boats (which I HATE) when the boat biotch bit us.

Think of it this way, all of those parts should give you a problem free "new" boat and trailer, which is rare to find on the used market.

Good luck to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.