1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice >

1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice

Notices

1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice

Old 08-08-2012, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
Not to highjack your photos and progress but since you and fleg are both interested in new interiors I thought this Baja 320 that was vandalized badly and we redid the cockpit area it might give you an idea what we can do? It was actually easier to install newer style Aero bolsters because the old ones were so rotted.

XT
xt@xt-innovationsDOTcom
Thats kinda what I'm looking for as far as the bench goes, i want to take the gunnel pads all the way to the floor and insert some oval openings large enough to store smaller items with some led lighting to accent, somehow need to incorporate some cup holders in front of the bolsters ( I have new Aero's ) and at the bench seat because I have not one drink holder on the boat right now!!! I want vinyl on the gunnel pads not carpet and I don't want to much color I like the all white now but I think it needs just a small amount of color to make it POP!! Would like to have the same design on the hatch thats on my boat now.. My bench has the molded fiberglass seat now and my hatch has the 8" drop in the front that comes down over the molded part of the seat and rests on the top of the back rest of the bench seat.. Does that make sense!!!!! I also need a snap in carpet!!

All I need is a starting point estimate to see if its something I can do right now or not....

Last edited by fleg1; 08-08-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by fleg1
Thats kinda what I'm looking for as far as the bench goes, i want to take the gunnel pads all the way to the floor and insert some oval openings large enough to store smaller items with some led lighting to accent, somehow need to incorporate some cup holders in front of the bolsters ( I have new Aero's ) and at the bench seat because I have not one drink holder on the boat right now!!! I want vinyl on the gunnel pads not carpet and I don't want to much color I like the all white now but I think it needs just a small amount of color to make it POP!! Would like to have the same design on the hatch thats on my boat now.. My bench has the molded fiberglass seat now and my hatch has the 8" drop in the front that comes down over the molded part of the seat and rests on the top of the back rest of the bench seat.. Does that make sense!!!!! I also need a snap in carpet!!

All I need is a starting point estimate to see if its something I can do right now or not....
It would look sweet!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you guys want to do the headrests on the motorlid like this Top Gun we are redoing?

XT
Attached Thumbnails 1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-dsc00861.jpg   1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-dsc00832.jpg   1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-dscn1168.jpg  

1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-2012-06-26_14-26-37_753.jpg   1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-2012-06-27_10-08-13_577.jpg   1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-2012-06-27_10-04-20_691.jpg  

1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-2012-06-27_10-03-55_476.jpg   1985 Baja Force Build Thread - Loaded with pics and looking for advice-2012-06-29_09-40-36_634.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fleg1

Fleg read my mind, except I think I'm doing a red orange and yellow paint job.

Love the headrests in the sun pad!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Registered

Well, the project got bigger today I think, while removing some of the old stringer fiberglass tabbing in the engine bay, I discovered some wet dark wood (rotten i guess) in the bottom 12 inches of the transom,looks like it will need replaced. Everything around the gimble and transom strap tie downs was good, but of course, the drain plug was never sealed.

So should I see how far the rot goes and just start from the bottom up and replace what was bad? Or do the whole thing? This little deal might just have put the nail,in the coffin of hoping to get it in the water for one test run this year.

Last edited by mgoblue06; 08-08-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

xt please check your pm's or call me 845 6four23305 about hinges in 96' 272 mike
Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Registered

Big Update!

After further inspection of the transom, in it's entirety we are going to leave it go and maybe do it in a couple years in the winter.

Got the hull cleaned off down to nothing. The best tool I have found so far for this build was a set if chisels that go in a sawzall that literally peeled back all the old tabbing in sheets. A quick grind with sme 24 grit on an air sander then a clean of big gobs with a flapper disc on a grinder did it out.

Next after picking up my resin, Mel, and 1708 glass from Glass Dave and a few extra tools from harbor freight got home and laid a single strip down underneath the main two stringers for a good bond.

Next day we coated all the LVL with a thin coat of resin. Funny story, when you are mixing resin, make sure you weigh out the ingredients at the correct ratio. My dad mixed a batch on the scale and accidently did a 10 percent hardener mix instead of 1 percent. Such a hot mix it was bubbling and frothing within the minute! The scale works great when measuring out resin and putting the hardener in it.

Today we got all the stringers in place in the boat and screwed together with coated deck screws; also threw in some liquid nails to hold some stuff together with the screws for support. Some pics of the process.

That's the progress so far, tomorrow's schedule is to finish leveling off the floor gussets and bed everything down nice. Hopefully start laying glass Monday and have it done by the weekend!!!!

When gassing here is my plan, lay down 2 tabs that go halfway up the stringers, lay a top layer that caps it all in then one more tab on the sides, sound good? Any input lay it out!

Will upload more pics tomorrow of it all bed together.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

Where we at!!!! need more pics!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

yes more pics!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mgoblue06
Big Update!

After further inspection of the transom, in it's entirety we are going to leave it go and maybe do it in a couple years in the winter.

Got the hull cleaned off down to nothing. The best tool I have found so far for this build was a set if chisels that go in a sawzall that literally peeled back all the old tabbing in sheets. A quick grind with sme 24 grit on an air sander then a clean of big gobs with a flapper disc on a grinder did it out.

Next after picking up my resin, Mel, and 1708 glass from Glass Dave and a few extra tools from harbor freight got home and laid a single strip down underneath the main two stringers for a good bond.

Next day we coated all the LVL with a thin coat of resin. Funny story, when you are mixing resin, make sure you weigh out the ingredients at the correct ratio. My dad mixed a batch on the scale and accidently did a 10 percent hardener mix instead of 1 percent. Such a hot mix it was bubbling and frothing within the minute! The scale works great when measuring out resin and putting the hardener in it.

Today we got all the stringers in place in the boat and screwed together with coated deck screws; also threw in some liquid nails to hold some stuff together with the screws for support. Some pics of the process.

That's the progress so far, tomorrow's schedule is to finish leveling off the floor gussets and bed everything down nice. Hopefully start laying glass Monday and have it done by the weekend!!!!

When gassing here is my plan, lay down 2 tabs that go halfway up the stringers, lay a top layer that caps it all in then one more tab on the sides, sound good? Any input lay it out!

Will upload more pics tomorrow of it all bed together.
I used 2 layers of 1708 over all my new work!! Personnally I don't think 1 is enough..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.