New to the Baja World!!! Have ????'s >

New to the Baja World!!! Have ????'s

Notices

Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello out there... I am just about to finalize the sale on a 2004 Baja 25 outlaw... I am coming over from the out board world.. I have had several Allison boats and anybody that knows them knows they are made for speed... This boat motor is stock " 496 HO " and i am wanting to make some modifications for increased speeds but lets start off slow cause this boat hit the wallet hard... My first question is can you get an increase in speeds by modifying the lower unit.. on outboards you need a nose cone to run the high speeds so would having a nose cone put on this help out with speeds.. If so would adding this help or hinder the handling performance... Also im sure it is a cat and mouse game with props out there but any suggestions as to what has performed the best " Top Speed Wise " on this boat would be appreciated... I welcome everyones professional advice and opinion here and note that it will not be taken lightly... Thanks in advance for any input here...
Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Registered

Congrats on the purchase! I'm not much for technical help, currently restoring a Baja myself, show us some pics!!!

ics:
Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rod2dknee
Hello out there... I am just about to finalize the sale on a 2004 Baja 25 outlaw... I am coming over from the out board world.. I have had several Allison boats and anybody that knows them knows they are made for speed... This boat motor is stock " 496 HO " and i am wanting to make some modifications for increased speeds but lets start off slow cause this boat hit the wallet hard... My first question is can you get an increase in speeds by modifying the lower unit.. on outboards you need a nose cone to run the high speeds so would having a nose cone put on this help out with speeds.. If so would adding this help or hinder the handling performance... Also im sure it is a cat and mouse game with props out there but any suggestions as to what has performed the best " Top Speed Wise " on this boat would be appreciated... I welcome everyones professional advice and opinion here and note that it will not be taken lightly... Thanks in advance for any input here...
Nose cone wont really do anything unless you are over 80. Not sure what the stock prop was on a 25 with 496, there maybe a few MPH but not alot. You will need to add alot of power to get large jumps in speed.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Nose cone wont really do anything unless you are over 80. Not sure what the stock prop was on a 25 with 496, there maybe a few MPH but not alot. You will need to add alot of power to get large jumps in speed.
I am pretty sure Wayne was running a 24 Bravo 1 w 496 HO
Old 08-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Nightlife thanks for the response.. when you say i will need to add alot of power would the most cost efficient and reliable way would be to add a supercharger or would you say go into the motor and have modifications done to it... Thanks
Old 08-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard that running a shorty out drive really helps, I am sure others will chime in with first hand knowledge.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Thanks drpete3.... I think that does seem to be the prop of choice out there by reading the reviews but what about those high performance 5 blade props out there... Are they just for the real big boats and motors out there with alot of horsepower... thanks
Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Thanks n20michael.... I will research this...
Old 08-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Whipple and Procharger both make "bolt on" kits for your motor, Or you can send the motor to "Raylar" and have him redo it for a good chunk more power, both options have merit, but, they are both pricey.

IF it was me, and again, this is just my opinion, I would look at a different option. If your 496 is in good shape and runs well you could get good money out of it, I would then buy a good 500 or 525EFI, considerably more power, "Blue" motors are VERY well built and you are dealing with a "stock" motor, so, maintainance, parts, upkeep etc are readily available. I guess its like the old expression "There's more than one way to skin a cat"

There is/was a fella on here named "Smitty" that I believe ran REALLY fast with a single powered Outlaw. Maybe hit him up?

I have seen a couple of big HP powered Allisons run on my local lake, if your looking to make your Baja run that quick its gonna be REAL expensive ]-:

Congrats on the boat, its a real nice piece
Old 08-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rod2dknee
Nightlife thanks for the response.. when you say i will need to add alot of power would the most cost efficient and reliable way would be to add a supercharger or would you say go into the motor and have modifications done to it... Thanks
I am going to make this staement short and sweet. If you want a fast 25 Outlaw go buy someones that already has what you want and youll save a lot of money and heartache in the long run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.