Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Out drive play question >

Out drive play question

Notices

Out drive play question

Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would it cost to have this done at a marina? I'm already north of 9k in repairs this year and just dropped 800 bucks on led transom lights! I would like to nurse it till the off season but am concerned about safety! I was planning on taking the performance boat course this September and would hate to have to se the money I budgeted for that on this repair. I really wish I had this boat surveyed before I purchased it. I have well over 30k in this 2000 h2x I could have gotten something a little bigger or a little newer! Thanks for your help. Larry
Old 08-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call a few shops and get quotes, you can do the JR Marine kit yourself, it's a great set up and Ron IS a SUPER nice guy and great to deal with. I just chose to change the gimbal without cutting the hole, just a personal preference.

If the motor has been out recently it shouldn't be as bad to pull, but, as I am sure you know, those H2X's are tight in the engine area, so, you are gonna pay for the "headache"

Talk to your mechanic, ask him if you can save a few bucks if you pull off the engine hatch/back seat and/or any other prep work. Stuff like that isn't real difficult, but, it IS time consuming, so, you pay for it.

I think "my guy" charged me 4 hours labour, but, I had the motor pretty much ready to pull when I dropped it off. Changing the ring, pin, seal isn't difficult, it's just a pain to get to.

I hear ya on spending cash, but, if you want TOTAL piece of mind you might even consider a new "Transom Assembly" if you buy one of those then you know EVERYTHING is new and reliable.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Registered

Here are the pics of my gimbal ring/transom plate job. First pic are the cracks you'll get if you tighten that U-bolt with excessive play in your swivel bore (mine wasn't terribly sloppy either - I was VERY surprised when it cracked). Second is of the cracks welded up (guy at work is an amazing welder). Obviously you won't need to do this unless you crack the ring, you just need aluminum built up in the square swivel shaft bore.

Third is how to cut open the transom plate to access the pinch bolt and the swivel pin nut (swivel pin is not installed in that photo). Note the 4 drilled and tapped holes to attach the cover plate. Last couple are of the cover plate I made out of stainless steel (polished), sealed and installed.

It's a bit of work to do, but none of it is overly difficult. And the way I look at it, it's an improvement from a future servicing standpoint (If I ever need to remove the ring again.)
And I am pretty anal when it comes to such things.

I did all the bellows, bearing, water line, etc. while I had everything apart also.

The only trepidation I've had with the entire job was the welded cracks (I was going to replace the ring), but I've had no issues, and have turned the boat at top speed hard (which puts the most stress on the gimbal ring).

Cost? Pretty much $0..... sweat equity only.

Last edited by puzzleboy; 08-16-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Registered

Looks like you did a great job, going to look into this kit. Was the area on the gamble ring hogged out from the worn swivel pin at all?
Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! I have seen a few done where the cover is painted black to match the out drive, but, it looks even better without paint IMO

Michael
Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Z06vette1
Looks like you did a great job, going to look into this kit. Was the area on the gamble ring hogged out from the worn swivel pin at all?
It was. I had aluminum welded on and filed to the right size. No need to replace the swivel pin, etc.