Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
first post - first boat - question about hrs >

first post - first boat - question about hrs

Notices

first post - first boat - question about hrs

Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, 9250 seems high. But knowing the history of the boat can mean a lot! What is the bottom like? What about the stringers and transom, that is huge. has it sat in the water or been a trailer queen taken out on the weekends and then put back indoor storage? Solid wood in the boat and good vinyl can mean a lot. If you are comfortable with pulling a motor and rebuilding it, knowing everything else is solid isn't bad then. Trust me, I thought I found a "deal", HA!!!!

What do you think will go wrong on the boat first and then see if you think you can tackle it.

Also talk to your buddy and be honest that your torn. You like the boat, think it is worth owning but worried about getting burned. If he puts it on the market, let him know you have the first offer on it in a certain range that you are comfortable with. If it sells for more, good for him. If it doesn't, is he willing to consider selling for less? You have to be willing to lose the boat, otherwise pay him what he wants.
Be Patient!!!!!

Brian
Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for all the input. I have had a few weeks to think it over. I still want the boat but can't bring myself to drop over 9k on it when the engine could fail this summer, or it could last a few seasons. It's a hard gamble to take. I have my eye on an 89 seebold eagle 236 with the 454 bravo 1 setup. It's about an hour away from me and looks real good. For 8k obo I may have to check it out.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
It is 24 years old, has a lot of hours, is underpowered and it has never been run at WOT in all that time ? It might run high 50s but that is just a guess. It's overpriced. Keep looking.
I read it that the engines had never been opened up...as in the intake has never been off.

I hope that no one would believe that a boat has never been run WFO. It just doesn't happen!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I guess the way I wrote that, it could be taken either way. What I meant was they have never been torn into mechanically. Bone stock on 1000 hrs. It has been opened up wot many times but not left there. It is also stored at a dock in fresh water all season. Up here (upstate ny) that's not too long. Prolly 5 months at a rip.

Last edited by Eye4aneye83; 02-15-2013 at 09:30 AM.