Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Carb vs fuel injection? >

Carb vs fuel injection?

Notices

Carb vs fuel injection?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I don't mean the carbs wont work, I have had carbed boats before, they work fine as well.

BUT They are not involved with the right tools. WAY better, easier, and more reliable.

BUT I do agree the market for the tools is Bull ****.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a/f box is your best tool to use .you can tune both setup. carb and efi
Old 03-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Angry

MILD THUNDER ANGRY!!!!
GRRRRRR!!

Old 03-18-2013, 08:49 PM
VIP Member

Bottom line.....The best tuned carb will never run as well as an EFI setup. Sure it takes a little time and effort to tune an EFI system, but whether it is 55 degrees out and dry or 95 and humid, that EFI system will still run mucho better. And it does not matter how big your cam is or what heads etc. Just get it tuned...
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ask our buddy how he liked his new cabs motors over his old efi !!!!!

I also agree it would be cost prohibitive to go to EFI from carb

But the original question was should he go from EFI to carb,,,,,absolutly not

Last edited by obnoxus; 03-18-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by obnoxus
Ask our buddy how he liked his new cabs motors over his old efi !!!!!
I remember at the end of the year he had a issue when I was out with him. Starboard engine idled and ran like crap. I removed his flame arrestor, and had him restart it. Hmm, choke closed?? After a closer look, choke wire was off!! Reconnected it, vroom, idled like a dream. Cost him a beer.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL,,,,,,See,,,,,that would NEVER happen with EFI !!!!!!

Sorry,,,,,couldnt resist !!!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bajaboy217
I am pulling the motor out of my 25 outlaw this week to make some transom assembly repairs, (swivel pin and seal) replacement. I am currently running a slightly modified NA 509 mpi fuel injected motor. Over the winter I purchased a complete setup to switch over to carbureted.... Dart intake Holley carb, fuel pump and regulator, msd distributer,blaster coil, and msd blue box.
So my plan is to make the swap while the motor is out. I'm sure there will be a few other small things that I will need to purchase to complete the swap.
My feeling is that there is a little more hp and speed to be had by switching to carb. Most might say that fuel injection is better but others say if the carb is tuned right then it's just as reliable as fuel injection.
I will be selling the boat this summer. By going to a carb what is that going to do to resale make it better? Worse? Or not change it? I just figured that if the boat doesn't sell right away as the used boat market seems slow,at least I would be running the season with the motor setup the way I wanted it to be with a carb!

So guys what are your thoughts go carb or am I just being crazy!
Wow,small world. I'm doing the exact same thing;upper hinge pin and seal. just pulled the drive and have most of the chit taken off the engine. I run a blown 540 with 1050 dominator. I purchased the boat with this setup and my humble opinion is if your selling the boat keep the fuel injection. Dont get me wrong, I love my carb setup but thats because I know how to tune it, I'm old school.I did own a newer boat with fuel injection before my current boat and I think for most people who dont know how to tinker on chit, then a turn key and go F.I. motor is what most people would want to buy. Now if your gonna keep it.....
Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Registered

Also I dont know chit about tuning E.F.I.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Registered

I would stick with whatever you are most comfortable with. Lots of people manage to tune regardless of EFI or Carb. The difficult thing is to tune WELL. To do a GOOD tune, I don't consider one to be easier than the other. Just completely different methods. Prices vary widely for both systems, to do either correctly is going to take some money and tuning. If properly tuned, I assume in most cases the EFI will be a bit more efficient, but a properly tuned carb setup is not far behind.

In either case, if someone is uncomfortable with what they are doing, paying an expert to sort everything out, though expensive, is still cheaper than building 2 (or more) engines.

If you're selling, EFI all the way, and stock power holds value better than anything built.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.