Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered
    My Boats:
    1996 Baja 272

What weight of engine oil should I use for a 502 Mag

I recently purchased a used 272 Baja with a 502 and I couldn't find a lot of information (didn't get a manual with the boat) on the engine saying what weight of motor oil I should be using. I am boating in Ontario so the air temperature when on the water is in the 70 to 80 degree range. Can anyone offer some guidance on what is a good all round weight of engine oil? I have heard anything from straight 30 weight to 25W40.

Thanks

Platinum Member Platinum Member nailit's Avatar
    My Boats:
    98' 33 Outlaw, 99' 25 Outlaw
    I have always used mercury 25w40. No issues.. but I have the 454 mags.. I have read that 502s usually use a lil oil, so some stp oil treatment could help too.
    When in doubt.....NAILIT!!

Slidell, Louisiana

Registered
    My Boats:
    90 Baja 265 DVX w/ 502 mag mpi
    20w-50 Is what I run. The 502 likes thick oil (loose tolerances) . Just let the engine warm up before putting the hammer down. And yes it will burn oil! Keep a qt or 2 with you just incase

I believe Mercury now "recommends" QuickSilver 25w-40 4 stroke oil.. But that has changed with the oil market.

Registered
    My Boats:
    '97 Baja Boss 272/502
    Quote Originally Posted by 92nsx View Post
    20w-50 Is what I run. The 502 likes thick oil (loose tolerances) . Just let the engine warm up before putting the hammer down. And yes it will burn oil! Keep a qt or 2 with you just incase

I believe Mercury now "recommends" QuickSilver 25w-40 4 stroke oil.. But that has changed with the oil market.
    +1 QS 25/40 her whole life. They do burn some, keep a close eye on it the first few times out to get an idea on usage. They seem to vary a bit. Great motor.

Registered
    My Boats:
    2005 Baja 25 Outlaw SST
    I run 20W-50 in the 496.

Registered
    My Boats:
    1996 Baja 272, 454 Mag
    Can't remember if I sent you the manuals or not. PM me.

My Boats:
    1988 Baja 280 Force
    After some reading in another thread. I think I am going back to a straight 30 weight oil. Been seeing some pressure drops after long runs I never had before untill I went with multi-weight oils.

Registered
    My Boats:
    2000 Baja Hammer
    I'm a fan of Rotella 15W40 diesel oil. I tried straight 40wt in my boat (the selling dealer recommended) and it drank it! Maybe a quart every other weekend. I decided to switch it to Rotella and it stopped using oil... It's cheap enough and always available.

Registered
    My Boats:
    97 baja 322
    ive been using rotella 15w-40 and K&N filters on my 502 mags for a few years now and don't notice it burning much at all

Registered
    My Boats:
    Throttleman 36 Cig Gladiator "Unleashed"... Fast 33' Outlaw... Slow 40' Express Cruiser... 18' Kustom Cat... Pair of Kawasaki Ultra 150's... Superjet
    I  Voted
    I would run a stright 40 or stright 50 w oil. Like valvaline VR1 racing oil or kendal. Dino oil. No need for synthetic since us boaters change it so often. No need for a multi viscosity since we only boat in warmer weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast