33 OL - Stereo Upgrade Tips? >

33 OL - Stereo Upgrade Tips?

Notices

33 OL - Stereo Upgrade Tips?

Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33 OL - Stereo Upgrade Tips?

Subject boat is 1999 33 Outlaw, all stock. Other than the few mechanical things I'm doing, the stereo will be the first real upgrade and found it VERY helpful in the past to ask a few questions from those more knowledgeable. I'm not looking to win a stereo contest by any means, just adding a couple of speakers higher up, sub and amp and more importantly ipod and bluetooth support...

1. Any benefit to relocating the head unit in the cabin? Currently in the stock location with push button smoke clear cover (yellowed). If I relocate what the best thing to use to cover the hole?

2. If I stick with Clarion, will the stock wired remotes work with the newer unit? If it's not a huge deal to fish wires around then I have no problem just switching it all out to better gear. Head unit suggestions welcome.

3. Sub and location. Will a bazooka tube fit under the bench seat? Or better to cut in a couple underneath? Again, not looking for crazy sound just some bass to help balance the new speaker volume. My previous boat I had a 10" Polk sub in a box under the helm storage completely enclosed and it was more than fine.

4. Any tips on routing wires or access are GREATLY appreciated!

Scott
Old 05-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Registered

1. I don't think there is any real benefit to relocating the head unit. To be honest, my last Baja had it where yours is, the new boat has it in the cuddy. I like sitting in the front passenger seat on the lake and playing "amateur DJ". I have a wired remote in the cockpit, but it's not the same, as I can't see what folder/track i'm playing. I guess it depends on if you just press play and leave it, or like swapping out music....As far as the cover, you can get replacement ones pretty cheaply on amazon or ebay. West Marine here in DFW even has a couple different ones they carry in stock. If you do relocate it, you might be able to use a dash cubby from a pickup. My truck has one just under the stereo that is the same size as a single DIN stereo, you might be able to figure oiut something similar to fill the hole. Also, as far as getting some sound higher up in the cockpit, you can get a good set of component 6.5s, and mount the main speaker in the old hole, and mout the tweeter up higher. I'll try to attach a pic of my setup. in the pic, you can see where the tweeter is. It makes a big difference when you're cruising down the water.

2. I tink Clarion changed their pin count in the remote wiring. My brother just went through this with his, so he went with a Kenwood marine unit. Depending on where your remote is, it's not that hard to route under the gunwales. Even going into the cabin probably isn't too bad. I'm not sure how the 33 is set up, but likely there is a pass though under your glove box if you pull it out. a 33 owner could tell you more I'm sure.
I've had relly good luck with the Sony marine head unit I have now. It's 50x4, has 3 RCA pre-outs, and usb hookup. I run my cuddy speakers straight off the head unit instead of the amps, and it more than keeps up. Also, you can run up to 3 wired remotes. Alpine makes a head unit now that has a waterproof RF remote that supposedly works up to 600' away. I havne't seen anyone that has one yet, but I'm seriously considering swapping mine out with one after this season. I think it would be pretty awesome to be able to control your stereo floating behind the boat at a raft up. And you wouldn't have to worry about running remote cables. If you upgrade the head unit, just make sure you have at least 3 pre-outs, one for the subs, 2 for the rest. That way you can control the sub output. I'm always having to fiddle with my subs, because MP3s seem to vary wildly on sound quality/mixing, even though I buy 99% of my music off amazon now.

3. Sub location is a bit trickier. I'm about to have to go through this myself. I have 3 Kicker 'free air' subs under my back bench. They are cut and mounted in the fiberglass, so I'm pretty much stuck going with 12s again. The problem is that pretty much every speaker manufacturere has gotten away from making free air subs, so I'm going to have to have a box built under my rear seat, and that's going to kill storage under there. I'm not sure how the bazookas sound nowdays, I never had much luck with them back in the day. They tended to sound pretty muddy, even for a sub. Someone with more experience installing will probably chime in about that. If I could still manage to find some free airs, I wouldn't hesitate to buy again, my bass hits like a mofo.

4. It's not that hard to route wires, just don't be afraid to unscrew stuff and figure out where it goes. Just double check before you start drilling holes, and you'll be fine.

I'm by NO MEANS an expert, this is just stuff I've learned along the way after doing stereos in my last 3 boats, putting a good stereo togheter yourself and seeing the results is very rewarding. That's one of the things on a boat I really enjoy doing myself. Hopefully one of the experts will chime in with an opinion too. Good luck, and enjoy!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

I've got a 36 Outlaw. I just installed a Clarion head unit that I can plug my i-Phone into. It controls the phones music and also Pandora thru my phone. Also has inputs for my Sirius output. And I bought the optional RF remote. It works up to 100 ft from head unit. You can also use wired remotes as well. Very easy to use head unit. Love it !!!
Old 05-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Registered

Great info guys! Thanks for taking the time to help.

I did the stereo in my previous boat and I was very happy with it. I used MB Quart amps and Kicker Marine speakers and that Polk sub. Sounded good and loud...on a budget. I think I'm going to try a more power efficient amp like a PDX-5 this time and go for a little more sano install. Great idea running the cabin speakers off the head unit...then I'll have 4 speakers and a couple of subs running off the PDX-5 in the cockpit. Hoping I can find a bluetooth head unit to use.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Escrowdog
Subject boat is 1999 33 Outlaw, all stock. Other than the few mechanical things I'm doing, the stereo will be the first real upgrade and found it VERY helpful in the past to ask a few questions from those more knowledgeable. I'm not looking to win a stereo contest by any means, just adding a couple of speakers higher up, sub and amp and more importantly ipod and bluetooth support...

1. Any benefit to relocating the head unit in the cabin? Currently in the stock location with push button smoke clear cover (yellowed). If I relocate what the best thing to use to cover the hole?
I would not bother with changing location. Depending on what unit you have now a newer unit may use the old remotes.

2. If I stick with Clarion, will the stock wired remotes work with the newer unit? If it's not a huge deal to fish wires around then I have no problem just switching it all out to better gear. Head unit suggestions welcome.
Like I said above it will depend on what unit you have now and what unit you look to change to. If you going to change brands I like the Alpine.

3. Sub and location. Will a bazooka tube fit under the bench seat? Or better to cut in a couple underneath? Again, not looking for crazy sound just some bass to help balance the new speaker volume. My previous boat I had a 10" Polk sub in a box under the helm storage completely enclosed and it was more than fine.
Putting a Bazooka under the bench will probably result in pretty poor results. I would do a couple 10" in boxes under the bench if it were me. If you are not a real bass freak, there are still free air subs out there.

4. Any tips on routing wires or access are GREATLY appreciated!
Plenty of room to run wires in the 33.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 PM
VIP Member

I forgot to say that the clarion has bluetooth and can pair up to 4 phones and has a built in mic to answer calls. Very cool stuff for a great price.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Registered

I have done the upgrades you are wanting to do. I see no reason to relocate your head unit..mine had the same head unit that yours had. I removed it and the ugly yellowed protector, made a mounting plate out of aluminum and mounted a newer clarion CMD4 unit. I do not think the original remote wires will work, but didn't try it, just installed newer ones with the new remote.. I also added 4 more full range speakers and installed a free air JL audio sub under the back seat...make sure you tighten up all the screws in the back seat, or it will rattle pretty bad. Routing the wires was pretty easy...hope this helps you. I am currently installing a newer clarion CMD6 head unit in mine...
Old 05-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rumrunner29
I have done the upgrades you are wanting to do. I see no reason to relocate your head unit..mine had the same head unit that yours had. I removed it and the ugly yellowed protector, made a mounting plate out of aluminum and mounted a newer clarion CMD4 unit. I do not think the original remote wires will work, but didn't try it, just installed newer ones with the new remote.. I also added 4 more full range speakers and installed a free air JL audio sub under the back seat...make sure you tighten up all the screws in the back seat, or it will rattle pretty bad. Routing the wires was pretty easy...hope this helps you. I am currently installing a newer clarion CMD6 head unit in mine...
So the CMD6 unit would require a mounting plate as well?

Like to get a couple of speakers up high, near the helm. Is there depth/room in the gunnel to the side of the shifter? Or any location suggestions?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 AM
Registered

If you are changing from an XMD to a CMD you will need a plate.

Have not seen a Baja yet that you could not get a speaker up by the shifter in the gunnel.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 260 Likes on 92 Posts

There are some pics of my upgraded stereo in this thread http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...utlaw-fun.html

Love it! Sounds Loud, Clean, and Clear, even at 80mph! (Turn it off to hear the engines when going FAST!)

8- 6 1/2" Kicker Marine
2- 10" Kicker Marine Subs
1- Kicker Marine ZXM 4 channel Amp
1-Kicker Marine ZXM Mono Amp

I agree on bringing some of the sound higher in the boat. I did not put a speaker by the throttle because it might get in my way running 100mph! But I think it can be done.

I removed the cabin speakers, why drain the batterys faster running speakers that will sound like crap off of the head unit. Or waste money on more amplifiers. Unless you have a head unit with dual volume controls. Its nice to be able to get away from the sound if the phone rings, etc, and not have to stop the party thats out in the cockpit. So no cabin speakers for me.

5 Channel amp is another good option. I personally dont like the sound of the bazooka tubes, but here is another option you might like SKM10 Sub Box | KICKER. I do agree that enclosed subs sound louder and better then free air.

I went with an Kenwood automotive style head unit in the factory location on the passenger dash. No cover. USB, IPOD, etc etc. We just have a short flash drive plugged in the USB with thousands of songs!

I do like the Alpine Marine head unit with the Wireless Waterproof remote!

Dont skimp on your amps and your system will sound great! Enjoy!

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 05-21-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.