1999 boss 302

Notices

1999 boss 302

Old 05-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 boss 302

Hey,
I am looking at buying a 302 with twin 454's. Its a little older but the engines have 135 original hours on them. The boat looks pretty clean other than a 1cm rip by the rear cup holder and some mold in the Cuddy from the winter. What should I keep an eye out for? Is there any reason I am going to regret buying this thing?
Thanks for your responses!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

which 454's? I was looking at a 302 but couldn't find one with 454 mags.. mpi's would be low 60s..
Old 05-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Registered

They are the MPI's. Not worried about top speed. Just reliability.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

MPIS should last forever if taken care of!! heard many stories from dealers and others who have ran over 1000 hours!!

Go for it!!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a 99 with 7.4s for 5 seasons. Absolutely loved the boat. Only negative is the swim platform. Its too narrow, too slanted and can be down right dangerous. Like others mentioned it's a 62 MPH boat, but easy on go go juice.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will bust your azz on the swim platform i guarantee it like Baja 342 said it is too narrow and too slanted ( and the extended platform is just as bad ) plus it gets wet making it slipperyer ( is that even a word LOL ) than oil on ice so be prepared for a sore one LOL as for the engines Nightlife has over 1200 hours on his and still going strong
Old 05-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With "mold" in the cabin I'd be looking at/for moisture issues first and foremost. Especially in the bulkheads, stringers and transom. The boats been wet inside no doubt. These boats were not sealed at the factory (mines not the only one). Holes cut in the transom weren't sealed, drain holes in the stringers have raw wood exposed. There are places all over the boats where this is true. Just poor craftsmanship period.

I wouldn't care how many hours it (doesn't) have. A '99 Baja needs a professional survey with attention to moisture content. Especially one that is growing mold in the cabin. Also, sometimes motors that have that few hours on them over 14 years nickle and dime you more than one that was run 75 hours a year. Good Luck.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hook'em
With "mold" in the cabin I'd be looking at/for moisture issues first and foremost. Especially in the bulkheads, stringers and transom. The boats been wet inside no doubt. These boats were not sealed at the factory (mines not the only one). Holes cut in the transom weren't sealed, drain holes in the stringers have raw wood exposed. There are places all over the boats where this is true. Just poor craftsmanship period.

I wouldn't care how many hours it (doesn't) have. A '99 Baja needs a professional survey with attention to moisture content. Especially one that is growing mold in the cabin. Also, sometimes motors that have that few hours on them over 14 years nickle and dime you more than one that was run 75 hours a year. Good Luck.
While good points and a survey is never a bad idea, mold in the cabin can come from something as simple as poor storage conditions. How many boats do you see wrapped in tarps that don't let the cockpit/cabin breathe at all. I've seen boats shrink wrapped with no vents in them.

My suggestion is if you like it, fork out a few bucks for a survey. Sea trial it. Make sure any issues you have with it are completed to your satisfaction before taking delivery (or make sure you can live with them). I drove away with a boat and a handful of promises once. Never again!!

Last edited by Baja_342; 05-29-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Registered

May not hurt to post pics and location of the 302 you're looking at. You'd be surprised who comes out of the wood work around here. Small group and chances are you may run across someone who has owned it or looked at it previously and could tell you why they walked away.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Registered

The mold is just tiny little spores on the vinyl from the storage over the colder months, it should wipe off very easy. It is here in Pensacola. I guess the boat has spent a little time in Destin and before that lived in Georgia. Still deciding what to do. I really like the boat but would like closed cooling engines for running in the saltwater. I don't really feel like replacing the cooling system everything every 5 years. I am definitely going to have an expert check the compression, drives and transom before buying.

Let me know what you think
Used 1999 Baja 302, Pensacola, Fl - 32503 - BoatTrader.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.