How does white acrylic windscreen compare to regular framed windshield >

How does white acrylic windscreen compare to regular framed windshield

Notices

How does white acrylic windscreen compare to regular framed windshield

Old 06-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does white acrylic windscreen compare to regular framed windshield

I'm looking at a performance series Baja (Boss package) and it has the white acrylic windscreen (fairing) instead of the regular framed (glass) windshield. How does the windscreen compare to the windshield regarding wind blockage and durability? Its a cuddy cabin boat, so I'll be using the molded in steps to get on up to the bow, but will need to hold on to the windscreen, too.... are they durable? Also, how are the windscreens for keeping the wind out of your face, as compared to the framed standard windshields? With my hearing as it is, I cannot take the wind noise anymore.... we had a Formula 292 a couple of years ago and my biggest complaint (other than being slow) was the wind noise. The Formula's windshield stopped at about my neck so my whole head was above the windshield and that was one of the main reasons we didn't keep it very long.

Thanks in advance,
Bob T
Old 06-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Registered

I went from a 208 Islander with a windshield to a 24 Outlaw with the windscreen, if you don't like the wind you better find a boat with the windshield.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Registered

The acrylic screen on my 270 works well. Caution...you don't want to use it as support for climbing to/from the bow deck. They do break and are not cheap to replace (if you can find replacement). I believe The full windshield has increased frame support but I still don't believe it will act as climbing support.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:51 AM
Registered

The white windscreen on my Boss 302 is very durable and thicker than the clear one on my 25 Outlaw. I like the look much better this way over the windshield. My biggest complaint is visability while sitting down in the seat is limited as I can't see the bow while idling along. The boat sits ass heavy.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What model? A .38 special is a lot deeper than a 232.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Registered

Thanks for all of the replies. Model is a 245. Having owned several Fountains over the past 15 years, it was always a pain trying to get to the bow (no steps - just climb up on the seat and over the dashboard), especially the older one's with the (unsupported) smoked plexiglass windscreens. The framed windshields on those boats were a huge improvement. Was curious if it is the same scenario with these boats, other than having the benefit of molded in steps by the cuddy door (still need something to hold on to, though).

Thanks,
Bob.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Registered

On a lot of the closed bow Bajas, the windshield still swings open in the middle like an open bow. Not too sure about the particular model you're looking at, but wouldn't be too hard to find out.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Registered

My hammer was thin white plexi and my 302 is quite thick plexi.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered

My windshield was painted to give my 280 sport a more modern look. It looks great but sucks for passengers sitting down because you can't see crap!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Registered

I went from a 01 272 Boss with a windshield to a 03 302 Boss with acrylic windscreen this year. I was dead set to replace the windscreen on the 302 with a windshield but after going out a few times on it i am definitely reconsidering. I do miss the step through windshield as it makes it very easy getting to the bow..bit more difficult with the windscreen but doable (sober at least). I am 6' and when i am sitting down and running the wind cuts right over me in the 302. My issue with the 272 windshield was the frame was right in my line of vision so either needed to stand or sit on a cushion to get over it or crouch down to be under it.

I am in the minority probaby, but do like the look of the windshield and especially after a medium tint to the glass.

The acrylic windscreen on a 302 is farily sturdy but if you put some force on it...it will defnintely move. Not to be used to pull your boat to the dock on a windy day thats for sure.

My fear was getting cut by the wind or windnoise in general....i am OK with that with the windscreen so think i will stick with it on my boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.