35 Outlaw trailer loading issue >

35 Outlaw trailer loading issue

Notices

35 Outlaw trailer loading issue

Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 35 Outlaw trailer loading issue

I have never had this before with a boat but maybe someone here can tell me whats going on the boat is a 2007 Outlaw 35 (stepped hull) and the trailer is a Heritage. When I pull the boat out the thing will never settle on the bunkers straight it always kicks out to the Port side really frustrating and it does it on any ramp. I have tried everything from pulling it out fast (not crazy stupid fast but quickly and that was a bad idea it really kicked off to the port side) to slowly pulling it out to try to let it settle with same result the boat off to the port side. So what I have to do now is back the trailer under pull the boat on then have the wife drive the rig forward slowly while I pull on a line attached to the rear cleat to make sure it settles on the bunkers. Damn thing really is really frustrating.

Yea I can get it on with the wife driving and all but she is less then comfortable driving a 1 ton truck and 40+ foot of boat/trailer even if it's just straight for a little bit, shes like 5' 3" and about 120 when wet and when she crawls in the truck and hits the button for her seat adjust......all way up, and forward and pedals all the way out it makes me laugh but she not laughing!!!!!

Any ideas or am I just going to have to send the wife to get her CDL
Old 07-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get in truck and have wife hold the line. Problem solved.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Registered

Nah been there tried that she doesn't see where the boat needs to be I wish it was that simple..... hard enough for me to have to look down and line the side of the boat up straight with the trailer fenders as it comes out of the water!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Not saying it will work for you as your set up may be different then mine, but it has worked well for me. I don't get the trailer in so deep that the boat floats above it. I like to get it in enough to get the bunkers wet and pull the boat up onto the trailer and it will self center. Just a suggestion
Old 07-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by abones
Not saying it will work for you as your set up may be different then mine, but it has worked well for me. I don't get the trailer in so deep that the boat floats above it. I like to get it in enough to get the bunkers wet and pull the boat up onto the trailer and it will self center. Just a suggestion
Worth a try not sure I can crank the 35 on without it floating but maybe a I can find a spot where the trailer is not as deep as I normally go but yet deep enough to be able to crank it on so it centers, thanks for the idea!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

I think once you find the "Sweet Spot" on the bunks (water Line) and make a mental note you should be fine. I pull my 40ft up just fine. good luck!!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I agree. You may be loading with the trailer too deep.

EVERY trailer is different, and every ramp is different just to compound the issue.
But as a rule, I normally have about 8" of my forward hull V-bunks out of the water. I splash water on them to get them fully wet before I either line pull or drive the boat onto the trailer. The best way for me to describe it is I "land the boat on the trailer" enough for friction to hold it on those exposed bunks. Then I winch it the rest of the way onto the trailer; normally about 4-6 feet. I never float or drive the boat all the way to it's final forward position. Sometimes, once I have it landed and winched up a couple feet, I will back the trailer in another foot just to aide in winching it up the rest of the way.

A lot of it could be your trailer. Post some pics of your trailer. The typical aluminum bolt together trailer with long large lumber bunks for the back 2/3s of the boat can be very troublesome to load. The style that the steel trailer builders and Myco/Manning build that "cradle" the boat, load about an even million times easier.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-07-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Registered

If Abones can winch a 40' on then I am damn sure I can do same thing with 35' I get what your saying about leaving some bunk out a little and wetting them before cranking on thanks guys I guess I just wasn't think as other boats I had just settled in no issue.

Not a great picture of trailer as its to far away but only thing I have right now will post some later today but I really think you guys hit it with what you explained.

Thanks again!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]503983[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 35 Outlaw trailer loading issue-part_1370983688839_img_20130609_101853_937.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't have any issues.. but the wife does pull me up. Sounds like your in way too deep.

I normally back down just until forward bunks front edge is at water line, that causes me to drive it up to the roller with wife guiding me till I make contact with the roller and also how far I have to go until the front eye has till its flush with roller. (Where it rides) no winching for me, if you can winch, your too deep or will take more forward travel till rear sit on bunks., thus more chance of being crookd.

She, whoever then inches me up till the rear hits the back bunks then pull up out the way. If there is a stiff wind, I actually have big PVC poles in the back that I can help center when needed. Also helps when lining up on the initial pull in. There are not "cool" but make things easy!!

Last edited by nailit; 07-07-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I back the trailer in til the fenders are under then drive the boat on (about 4 ft) sometimes have to back in a little more after the boat is on but it is centered. I just don't like pulling that hard on the bow eye trying to drag 34ft on the trailer. Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.