Setting Timing 7.4 mpi 99 Baja Hammer >

Setting Timing 7.4 mpi 99 Baja Hammer

Notices

Setting Timing 7.4 mpi 99 Baja Hammer

Old 07-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Timing 7.4 mpi 99 Baja Hammer

Long time reader, first time poster. . .

here is my question. . .i know you have to put the boat into base timing mode which i have done and have changed the timing but just found out that the reason i wasnt making full rpm is probably in fact due to having a faulty injector and only running on 7 cylinders (testing this friday, was only hitting 4000 at wot trimmed out) it says the motor needs to be at 8 degrees btdc well is that 8 degrees btdc at idle or when the boat is in base timing mode. when the boat is in base timing mode it automatically rpms to 1000-1200 and the timing changes when i put it at 8 btdc in base timing mode it is at like 6-8 degrees atdc at idle in order to have 8 btdc at idle i have to set the timing at like 19 degrees in base timing mode so which one of these ways is right is it 8 degrees btdc at idle or, while the motor is revved up in base timing mode?

thanks for any help and this forum has been a gold mine of information so far
Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Set it at 8 degrees btdc while in base timing mode. Setting the timing in base mode establishes a starting point from which the computer can then take over. If that does not solve your idle problem at least you have eliminated timing as an issue. Good luck.