Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Rear facing speakers..... suggestions? >

Rear facing speakers..... suggestions?

Notices

Rear facing speakers..... suggestions?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear facing speakers..... suggestions?

Ok, so I have the same problem as everyone else.... when anchored at our favourite party cove, you only hear maybe 30% of the music if you're in the water behind the boat. 2 speakers in the cuddy, 2 in the cockpit....

So I just picked up a pair of Bose 151 environmental speakers at Costco, and was thinking of making up something to have them rearward facing, higher than the sunpad, and mounted somehow so that they can't be kicked into the water, are out of the way, etc. A buddy said mount them on top of the bolster seats somehow (a quick, temporary mounting system), but I'd like to get them more rearward if possible. Any suggestions? Any mounting system I use, I want to be able to stow them again quickly.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Registered

I've thought about making an adapter plug out of a rear navigation light pole, mounting the speakers on the pole and adding two pole bases (receptacles) in the hatch coaming. This way you would just sit the speakers (on the pole) down into the receptacles when you were ready to play. No wires to mess with in this arrangement and pretty cheap.

BTW, I have a pair of the 151's at the house and was thinking about doing something with them in the boat. They are great speakers for their size. Mine have lived on an exposed deck for 8 years now and sound as good as the day we put them up. I think you will like them. The 251's are really nice (but more expensive) with a fuller sound but they are also bigger.

Good luck and let me know what you end up doing.

Dan
Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Registered

That's a good idea too, and I like the fact there's no wires to mess with. I'm trying to avoid drilling anything new, but am open to all ideas.

Thanks for the info on the speakers. They were $169 at Costco, which I think is hard to beat for something that can withstand a little bit of the environment. I've heard the outdoor Polks are good, but I already throw too much $$$$ at boating.... lol.

Looking at pictures of my boat here at work, I'm thinking of making a stainless bracket that goes down beside the engine hatch and picks up on the hatch hinges, near the rear of the hatch. What I like about this area, is it would put the speakers right where I want them, above the gunwale, near the back of the boat, and just outboard of the sunpad sunning/boarding area. Gonna see what I can maybe fab up tonight.

Originally Posted by BajaDan
I've thought about making an adapter plug out of a rear navigation light pole, mounting the speakers on the pole and adding two pole bases (receptacles) in the hatch coaming. This way you would just sit the speakers (on the pole) down into the receptacles when you were ready to play. No wires to mess with in this arrangement and pretty cheap.

BTW, I have a pair of the 151's at the house and was thinking about doing something with them in the boat. They are great speakers for their size. Mine have lived on an exposed deck for 8 years now and sound as good as the day we put them up. I think you will like them. The 251's are really nice (but more expensive) with a fuller sound but they are also bigger.

Good luck and let me know what you end up doing.

Dan

Last edited by puzzleboy; 07-17-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, check out the big brain on BajaDan. He's full of great engineering ideas that have been well thought out before he shares them.

I was thinking the grab handles on the back of the bolsters would be an ideal place for rear facing temp mounted speakers like the 151's. But then I remembered (if memory serves) '97 was the first year the bolsters had grab handles.....your '96 may not have them????
Old 07-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

sorry to get off topic, but were docked at ontario place on saturday watching the indy race from your boat. I saw a baja as I left for a cruise around 2.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Registered

Nope, wasn't me! We were up in Simcoe.

Correct, my bolsters don't have the rear grab rail.

Gonna see if I can make a mount that picks up on the hatch hinges tonight.

Last edited by puzzleboy; 07-17-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Registered

Hook'em, that may be a great idea! Instead of using the grab handles on the bolsters what about using the grab handle above the boarding ladder? A simple clamp on rail mount could be used similar to these (but sized correctly). No holes (but visible wires).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIAA-30710-A...b30337&vxp=mtr

Puzzleboy, your may be onto something there as the wires would just drop down between the coaming and the hatch. Post a picture of your prototype or mock up if you work on it tonight.

Dan
Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

This was my solution. I had a railing to work with, but I'm sure you could find another mounting method.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ml#post3878021
Old 07-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Registered

Very nice. I enjoyed the entire thread actually. I've never heard of the Neutrik connectors before. I will have to check them out. Looks like a good option for temporary electrical connections. Much better than the typical "power outlet".

Dan
Old 07-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Dont sweat the speakers. You could dunk them in the water and pull them out and they'll play. It's a part of the standard Bose training and demo of the 151 & 251

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.