Bilge pump runs but no water coming out >

Bilge pump runs but no water coming out

Notices

Bilge pump runs but no water coming out

Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Bilge pump runs but no water coming out

I have noticed a couple things and wonder if any one can provide some information. Boat is the one in my photo model year 2007

With both batteries off the bilge pump can still run is this normal?

I have pulled it out twice now (after overnight rains) and can hear the bilge pump running but nothing comes out so what I have done is soon as I get the boat out of the water and on the ramp I pull the plug (some water comes out) by the time I get it to where I store it the bilge pump is not longer running.

Any information would be helpful.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

1. pump is hard wired to the battery with float switch. This is so if boat is sitting at the dock with batts. off, the pump can still do its job if needed.

2. If pump is just running without reason, your float switch is probably acting up.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
1. pump is hard wired to the battery with float switch. This is so if boat is sitting at the dock with batts. off, the pump can still do its job if needed.

2. If pump is just running without reason, your float switch is probably acting up.
Phragle,

1. Agree and was guessing that was the case. Thanks

2. Note that both times have been after rains and when I pulled it out, pulled plug and water came out on ramp and as I have to go up a small hill on way to where I store boat I can see water coming out.

Could it be that the float is made but the pick up is just out of the water? It wouldn't seem like they would design a bilge pump like that but who knows. I might just have to leave plug in and get it to spot where I can take a minute to dive in the bilge.

Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

a bilge pump is NOT going to completely empty the bilge.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the float switch is mounted LOWER than the pump pick up.

You might find that the liner construction has some water trapped around the float that doesn't "flow thru" to the pump. Sounds like you need a look see.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
a bilge pump is NOT going to completely empty the bilge.
Yes agree my point is that there was actually water in and when it emptied the pump stopped just thinking the float is positioned in a spot that the pump can't complete pump down so that the float will let the pump turn off.

Use to live in Perrysburg and work in Toledo at General Mills way back in the day how is T-Town doing now days?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hook'em
Sounds like the float switch is mounted LOWER than the pump pick up.

You might find that the liner construction has some water trapped around the float that doesn't "flow thru" to the pump. Sounds like you need a look see.
Agree, where we pull boat out can be very busy so I'm usually rushing to pull the plug and get out of the way next time going to leave plug in and get to a spot I can take a look.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Registered

Didn't have significant rain so did not have the running bilge pump when I pulled it out but here is what I can find.

Two bilge pumps in the engine compartment down on the hull below stringers and one under the step at the cuddy entrance, the float switch is on the top of the stringer above the bilge pumps in the engine compartment. When I actuate the float the alarm sounds bilge pupmps run..... am I overlooking one somplace?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes - the one on top of the stringer is the o crap back up. Lets you know you have problems. That should be hooked to one pump. There will be another switch attached to the other pump located at the same level of the pumps. My guess is the hose has come off the main pump, the pump is dislodged from the base and is not sitting in the water correctly or something got in it an broke the impeller. When the boat has water and the primary pump is running pull the back-up switch up and see if the backup pump gets the water out.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Port Monster
Yes - the one on top of the stringer is the o crap back up. Lets you know you have problems. That should be hooked to one pump. There will be another switch attached to the other pump located at the same level of the pumps. My guess is the hose has come off the main pump, the pump is dislodged from the base and is not sitting in the water correctly or something got in it an broke the impeller. When the boat has water and the primary pump is running pull the back-up switch up and see if the backup pump gets the water out.
Thanks....I'll dig back in maybe the switch is further back towards the transom under the engine. The two pumps in the engine compartment have the hoses connected properly and readily accessible.