302 owners, past and present >

302 owners, past and present

Notices

302 owners, past and present

Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wwolfe
I purchased my 03 302 Boss earlier this season and do love the boat. Did not want to get into 33'+ size given i boat mainly on smaller lakes (Finger Lakes Region) and for ease of trailering everywhere, storing, etc.

My boat does have the extended fiberglass swim platform and was a must for me. I was lucky that all (3) 302's I looked at had it. I believe the mold is no longer around for the extended swim platform so finding one will be a difficult task. Best bet would be to get with XT Innovators to see if he can locate or possibly make one.

With the extended swim platform it covers the drives and makes it nice and safe for kids and people jumping off back. I took the extra step and have both the extended swim platform and molded sprayed with anti-skid and cleared. Still looks good but much more grip especially when wet.

These are great boats but you have to be heavy on the tabs to keep from porpoising around 40-45 mpg range.

I like the amenities of the 302 over the 29 OL and the cockpit space and cabin are very roomy for this size boat.

My requirements were biggest stock power i could find and extended swim platform....best of luck to you.
You won't find a extended swim platform anywhere unless someone parts one out. I was going to remove mine and work with XT to have a mold made to sell them, but sold my boat prior to getting this accomplished, so anyone looking at a 302 without the extended swim platform don't expect to be able to just find one. As for the boat I would say it would be a deal breaker for me without having the extended swim platform. There's only about 6 inches of platform there and drives right below it. I wouldn't want to take a fall from the sunpad or that tiny platform. Poor design IMO should've done what they did on the 342 and 272 would've made the boat alot better IMO. I loved my 302 and would definitely chose a 302 over a 29OL mainly because of cockpit space and a room in the cuddy. I do most of my boating in the cockpit and the 29OL doesn't have much more room than a 272 for cockpit space. 342 is a much nicer setup as far as cockpit and room. My .02
Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my search for a 302 it appeared to me that the majority of 2002 and newer 302's had the extended swim platforms and majority of the 2001 and older 302's did not. All of the boats i looked at were 2003's and all had them.

IT probably has the answer....but assume the extended swim platform option did not come out until early 2000's after a few years of complaints to Baja on the 302 with no extended platform.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2004 302 with the extended platform for about 3 years and never had a fall. This includes my 7 & 9 year old kids and any guest we ever had on board. With that said, I'm with Irish, I would not own one without the extended platform, especially if you have kids. It's just too risky based on where the drives/props are without the platform. I also had the porpoising problem, but just learned how to keep it out of the range where it happened. Other than that, we really liked our 302.....lots of room compared to other boats it's size, and even some that are rated as longer/bigger. Good luck!