Stereo Techies >

Stereo Techies

Notices

Stereo Techies

Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Techies

I want to replace the 2000 Clarion that is in my 2001 Baja. I like having the remote at the stern. I want to be able to plug in my Iphone,Ipod or laptop.
What have any of you all done that you are happy with?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I love my Fusion MS-IP600 stereo that docks an Ipod internally. They have wired remotes. But, the new MS-IP700's can be remotely controlled by bluetooth devices such as an iPhone.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure you get another Clarion that accepts wired remote input.. should, but double check.

I bought a pioneer b/c I like there remotes but the old remote I have was replaced and the new version is come coin so I am using the remote that came with it now.

I wanted Bluetooth!! make sure you get that!!! sweet!
Old 09-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dazrum
I want to replace the 2000 Clarion that is in my 2001 Baja. I like having the remote at the stern. I want to be able to plug in my Iphone,Ipod or laptop.
What have any of you all done that you are happy with?
You can chose the brand of radio you want. The Fusion is getting alot of talk. Rockford also has a pretty slick unit. Clarion is still the standard i guess you could say. Each brand seems to have a different method of dealing with an Ipod. Some have a dock like the Fusion, Clarion has a cable that plugs in like the charging cord, others just have an input that you use the headphone jack to connect.

I have an older Rockford that just has an external input. I have it setup with a remote plugin at the dash so I can plug into an Ipod or cell phone via the headphone jack. I also have a hookup for my laptop in the cuddy that is the same deal. The problem is the Ipod sounds like crap though the headphone jack. My cell phone sounds much better, and my laptop sounds the best by far.

Alpine and Clarion both have the cable that connects to the Ipod and Iphone. It sounds better than the headphone jack, but certainly not as good as a cd. I don't think Apple intended these things to be musically perfect and a good system will uncover that flaw.

So now when I plan a system for a boat I try to think about all the devices we would connect now. So if you get a unit that has a dock in it like the Fusion, you also want to put a remote hookup for the RCA cables (or headphone jack) some where so you can connect the computer in your case. Most units now have atleast on AUX hookup in them. Many now have and AUX RCA on the back, and AUX headphone (i.e. 1/8") jack on the front and some are also using a USB hookup as well on the front.

I basically just use my cell phone on the dash while we are running. I have a DJ app that allows me to setup a playlist, and it just randomly mixes it together. When we are sitting I have my DJ software on my computer (you can download a free version at www.virtualdj.com) that we use. This allows me to make a playlist, put the songs in the order I want, but I also have the ability to mix in a song on the fly if I want. The only thing is I have to get in the boat to mess with the program as there is no remote for it I can put on the back of the boat. But it sounds so much better than the Ipod, and I can control when songs are played that it is worth the times I have to climb back in the boat and mess with it.

I am looking to upgrade myself soon if I keep the boat. This time I want a control panel on the back of the boat as well.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input. I am looking at the Sonys that take Ipods etc and have a wired remote for the transom. I'll keep you posted
I would really prefer an Alpine system but haven't researched their marine units yet. Rich
Old 09-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input. I am looking at the Sonys that take Ipods etc and have a wired remote for the transom. I'll keep you posted
I would really prefer an Alpine system but haven't researched their marine units yet. Rich
Alpine quit making Marine Head Units. If you can find one on Ebay I did like the sound from them. Rockford, Clarion, Kenwood and Fusion are the names I see talked abou the most. Have not looked at the sony's personally.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I mentioned staying with clarion b/c I thought you already had the stern remote and would be cheaper than buying a different brand AND new remotes.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Registered

I replaced the rear speakers (under bench seat with Alpine SPM 600s they sound pretty good. I am afraid I am going to have to go to a 4 channel stereo amp versus my present 2 channel. Any suggestions?

I am also going to try the MB quart 6.5 inch marines in the cupholder areas along the gunwhales. If I don't like them I can send them back to Amazon.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I absolutely love my Alpine. Works great with an iPod and my wireless remotes. One thing I don't like about Fusion is that sometimes it is hard to get every type of iPod to plug-in. My buddy's has had a hard time with my Nano.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Registered

Thanks. Good info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.