Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol? >

Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol?

Notices

Most aggressive X dimension on a 24 ol?

Old 09-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How much speed did you notice with a 4" raised X? Interesting that you feel it doesn't handle as well as it used to. I feel the X is pretty deep to begin with on these hulls. What year is your boat if you don't mind me asking? I think in some years the X is different then others.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you referring to a 24 Outlaw or to the Four Winns in your info?

Originally Posted by Itsallgood995
I raised mine 4" & it works great going straight but sucks for water sports like tubing with the kids. Every time you turn the boat sharply to get the tube outside the wake the prop blows out or slips. 5 blade prop helped but you lose most of the speed advantage. I have considered notching the transom but doesn’t seem like many have tried it with success.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:02 PM
Registered

I have my prop shafts at 4.25 below the bottom and I have extension boxes on my 320 and it was the absolute best thing I ever did to that boat, well the 500's were a nice addition also!!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fleg1
I have my prop shafts at 4.25 below the bottom and I have extension boxes on my 320 and it was the absolute best thing I ever did to that boat, well the 500's were a nice addition also!!
Now we aren't really talking apples to apples but did you do all your upgrades at the same time? This year I did the motor and the shorty at the same time so I don't really have a comparison to what exactly the shorty did. Now this year I'm bumping the hp on the motor and possibly an extension box so I'm probably not gonna tell what does what. Unless it slows it down. Then I'll know something's up with the box lol.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mickeymcclgn
Now we aren't really talking apples to apples but did you do all your upgrades at the same time? This year I did the motor and the shorty at the same time so I don't really have a comparison to what exactly the shorty did. Now this year I'm bumping the hp on the motor and possibly an extension box so I'm probably not gonna tell what does what. Unless it slows it down. Then I'll know something's up with the box lol.
No I raised the x first which was an improvement from stock, although I did need to go to 4 blades because I couldn't get the boat on plane..

Next was the box which made a huge difference in the attitude of the boat.. and it gained roughly 4-5 mph. With 454's and the raised x it ran about 66mph I added the box and it would hit 70-72 depending on conditions.. Now with the 500's it runs 80!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Registered

Do you have the standard lower to stick back on the drive so you can test it get some #'s? then put the shorty back on it and see what changes occurred.. Then put the box on it test, then do the motor and test! Should be cool to watch what takes place for each scenerio!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Keep this in mind too, if you up the hp enough to make your boat start going real fast you can possibly reach a point where raising the drive seems to slow you down as the boat seems to climb higher out of the water and the drive doesn't run as deep at speed and the becomes hard to maintain bite/bow carrying ability, prop loads and unloads, I lost real speed with stellings box and I lost real speed with imco shorty and am back to my fastest set-up-a std length drive with 7 1/2" PROP centerline, Smitty
A totally gutted out cabin-now THATS a idea for BIG speed numbers, GF would kill me though!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Registered

I do actually have a stock lower that can go on, I however am getting ready to pull the motor and once it's out it's getting done but won't have the box or it ready to go on till after the motor is on its way to getting done.

I really have enjoyed the whole process with the boat. And I don't know that I'll ever be the guy with the biggest or fastest boat but I enjoy hanging with them in a 24 and when we stop they are all surprised how well the boat runs for what it is. I get more compliments then I ever thought with an 87 lol.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Registered

Very good point smitty. I've read a lot of your threads and i really admire your trial and error approach with it. And I agree with what someone said earlier you definitely got a set on you to run it as hard as you have. I need to dig up some pictures but my boat does carry the bow really well even loaded down. I'd love to gut the boat make it a 4 bolster setup bulkhead off the cabin and put some big power in it but that's wishful thinking for down the road.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Registered

I get more compliments then I ever thought with an 87 lol.
I hear ya brother! People say the same thing about mine..

http://m1292.photobucket.com/albumvi...9600.jpeg.html

Last edited by fleg1; 09-26-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.