Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Baja issues with wood rot? >

Baja issues with wood rot?

Notices

Baja issues with wood rot?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

" stains running down from ANY Penetration" Hmm.....
Old 06-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
" stains running down from ANY Penetration" Hmm.....
Lol.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Registered

Hi,I leave in Mauritius and no boat are made with wood here. Can you please advise what international brand of boat is made without wood?
Old 12-13-2016, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
+1 How do we get people to believe that rot is not related to what year a boat was built, or who built it if wood was part of any structure in the boat. We have see it all from your 1977 Pantera that the rib pad wood was just bare wood and not even a water stain on anything (it was in perfect condition like new) to a 2005 Nor-Tech that we just replaced the rotted rear seat bottoms with plastic material. I think more boats rot from owners that say "it's a boat and it's suppose to get wet" or letting them sit outside with bad canvas and the drain plug installed. My dad bought a 86' Wellcraft 23 Nova that was nothing but rot, now he has an even older 83' 23 Nova that is solid as can be. You just have to inspect every boat you look at.

XT
I totally agree with most are saying here. I believe the worst damage is due to rain water and neglect. But I have also taken the trim tabs off of a 98 25 outlaw to find that no sealant was used on the plates or the screws.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 01 29 fever was always garage kept even by the previous owners. Last year while doing fresh power and drive, it was discovered my transom, stringers, and rear hulk head were full of water and rot. The only place water was getting was through the exhaust holes. After removing the exhaust tips, we could easily see that's where the water was getting in, from there gravity forced the water down to the stringers and keel. from there it back tracked towards the bow to the rear hulk head. It's amazing to me how much any of these boats are new that a manufacturer uses such cheap parts and pieces. The exhaust tips did not have a flange but only a cheap plastic ring on the outside just for looks. There wasn't any left over silicone or any other sealant used in any effort to keep water out. After new transom, stringers, bulkhead, you can bet my new exhaust holes have a flange and we used a ****load of the 3M sealant. I will be checking these exhaust holes, drain plug holes, and bravo assembly rings every 3-4 years just incase!
Old 12-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 29Fever01
My 01 29 fever was always garage kept even by the previous owners. Last year while doing fresh power and drive, it was discovered my transom, stringers, and rear hulk head were full of water and rot. The only place water was getting was through the exhaust holes. After removing the exhaust tips, we could easily see that's where the water was getting in, from there gravity forced the water down to the stringers and keel. from there it back tracked towards the bow to the rear hulk head. It's amazing to me how much any of these boats are new that a manufacturer uses such cheap parts and pieces. The exhaust tips did not have a flange but only a cheap plastic ring on the outside just for looks. There wasn't any left over silicone or any other sealant used in any effort to keep water out. After new transom, stringers, bulkhead, you can bet my new exhaust holes have a flange and we used a ****load of the 3M sealant. I will be checking these exhaust holes, drain plug holes, and bravo assembly rings every 3-4 years just incase!
I'm in the market for a boat from that time period, definitely getting a survey this time.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by 29Fever01
Same issue my 32 had, couldn't beleive it i bet it was leaking from day one. yet my friend has the same model and is only 3 numbers off. his is solid as a rock.

Go figure.

All boats with wood can and will rot if things leak. Every rigging screw put into the boat is a place water can get in.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Same issue my 32 had, couldn't beleive it i bet it was leaking from day one. yet my friend has the same model and is only 3 numbers off. his is solid as a rock.

Go figure.

All boats with wood can and will rot if things leak. Every rigging screw put into the boat is a place water can get in.
100% agree!!

We even installed a drain plug at each end of the hull sides. The guy that did the wood and glass work said almost 10 gallons of water came out when he drilled through!! All being related to the whole "water under the step thing".