33   outlaw Drive indicators.... >

33 outlaw Drive indicators....

Notices

33 outlaw Drive indicators....

Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 33 outlaw Drive indicators....

What position do you run ya'lls drives at WOT?? My 272 would never rooster tail when trimmed properly. This boat seems to like 5-6 on the indictors which shoots a little tail....Just curious. By the way I LOVE FACTORY speedos!! 79-80 at 4900, LOL!!!! Speaking of, my props need a little help to get me up to the 5200 range. My timing is at 33degrees if I bump it to 34 would that make up 200 rpm?? I set it up to be safe but I'm already looking for a lil more LOve this boat more every time I get in it! I'm averaging about $100 an hour in fuel though, that part sucks!
Old 06-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You should not rooster tail at all with Bravo drives; especially not on that boat. They are not surface drives. If you had a staggared/speedmaster setup turning in (like a Fountain), that would rooster tail a bit.

In my experience, the 33 Baja is a finicky boat to get trimmed right. Neighbor/friend had one, and he always ran it pinned to the water because "it always porpoised otherwise". I ran it briefly, and freed it up a bit, but it still wasn't a 'one setting fits all'.

There are a few more members that will chime in. Kevin/offshorexcursion will probably do so, but he's got big power and that changes things.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Registered

I guess rooster was an exaggeration....there was a little coming out of the water. I trimmed down and did not notice a drop in rpm or speed...
Old 06-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baja's from the factory run the drives deep to get the bow lift the hull design needs. You should not need much trim for it to run top speed. If you raise the X dimension (bring the prop line higher) you need a little more trim as there is less leverage.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Like mentioned above, if your not running low water pickups on those bravo's, trim set to 6 could suck air and waist a pump ,or worse. I run a little tail on mine when I want to go and trimmed about 5-5.5, Brad set my timing at 36* total advance.

What prop's and power are u running

one more thing, test the trim ind. on the trailer and make sure the drive's are in the position the indicators say they are, or you could over trim the boat and UT-O

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 06-04-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Right around 6 for max performance seems to work best on mine...3 is where I run it in the rough and at normal cruise.

3 is basically neutral ( shafts parallel to the boat bottom)

I fooled around with the timing in my old boat that had HP 500's and going from 34 ( factory spec) to 36 made no difference
Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Registered

I got a level and tape and measured and adjusted for 2 hours on those stupid indicators. Of course the trim pumps run different speeds too. I've got it figured out but I miss the old electric trim gauges I'm going to get these 25P mirages labbed a bit and leave it alone.