Kicking off the covers >

Kicking off the covers

Notices

Kicking off the covers

Old 06-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kicking off the covers

Very seldom do I pull the boat with cockpit cover on but last 2 times I made long distance attempts I barely made it out of town and off it goes . The cockpit covers not meant for towing? just curious? I see em on all the time.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Most folks can tow with cockpit covers just fine provided:
1) All of your snaps are tight and in good shape.
2) The cover is tight.
3) You tape down the front of the cover with Hull Preservation Tape or something that will adhere the cover to the bow and keep wind from getting under the front.

Do a search on "hull preservation tape" as it's been discussed on here before.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Registered

Never had an issue. But I have noticed some snaps don't snap very tight. The male portion may need changing out, or a quick fix is to make them slightly oval with a pair of pliers to increase their retention ability.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Some of this around the edges will help (your choice of color of course )
Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've towed mine thousands of Highway miles with the cockpit cover on. Never taped it down and never had even one snap come loose. It's still the original cover and snaps on the boat. I have seen several with "white duck tape" across the leading edge.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had a brand new $900 cover blow off. My last boat was fine... not this one.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyo
I just had a brand new $900 cover blow off. My last boat was fine... not this one.
Not sure I will be either,, my last boat had 2 "clip snaps" in the front that helped. Also this is 232 open bow and has the rubber stop on the winshield, I can see where air gets under that. I have never had any issues myself until now. I was just curious what experiences others had. Maybe the next boat will keep em on.. keeping this 232 just this season.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Registered

I wonder if having a windshield makes more wind catch vs a boat with windscreen where it's solid all the way across. I tow with my cover on and it hasn't blown off, although all my snaps except for one are good.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaDawg
I wonder if having a windshield makes more wind catch vs a boat with windscreen where it's solid all the way across. I tow with my cover on and it hasn't blown off, although all my snaps except for one are good.
There are dozens of variables that affect the wind going across the boat. A truck with a shell on it, vs. open bed vs. tonneau cover, etc. etc. There is no specific variable. Your cover might be fine for 100 miles, but pass one 18 wheeler at 55 mph on a two lane road; and whooosh.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bats05
Very seldom do I pull the boat with cockpit cover on but last 2 times I made long distance attempts I barely made it out of town and off it goes . The cockpit covers not meant for towing? just curious? I see em on all the time.
For every cockpit cover we make I tell the customer there are NO refunds if you choose to trailer with it in place. I have done it myself, but only if the weather was real bad and I went 55 mph while looking back more than forward. Same thing for a full mooring cover that I used to trailer with it bunggied to the trailer. That thing would puff up 3' taller than the deck. The ONLY cover that offers a warranty to trailer down the road is a ShurLast Trailering cover with the ratchet strap system. I have one in grey for a windshield 232 if you are interested.

XT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.