Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
poker run Baja >

poker run Baja

Notices

poker run Baja

Old 07-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think repowering a very nice looking boat is a waste. Velocity seems to think it can be made to run 70mph with this power or more. I'm no expert on the design of this boat but I'm guessing they know more than I do. I also think they will do it for less than 100k or around 100k. You can buy a lot of boat for that money but this is a very nice boat. I think the biggest concern is the history of the boat, as pointed out, not the power.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
120 will buy a lot of boat with no stories in today's market. .
Like a real Nice 37 Outerlimits
Old 07-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

This is one of my favorite boats to this day and I would love to see it back on the water.

Just curious, what should the boat have run, mph wise, with the 850's, # 6's, and the proper setup? That is a big boat and they are not known for hull efficiency so I am just curious.

As far as dropping it, was it repaired correctly and it is structurally sound? Has it been surveyed since being fixed? There was just a cover story about the MTI that flipped off the trailer and was repaired and nobody really balked at that since it was repaired properly and the surveyor said it checked out.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
120 will buy a lot of boat with no stories in today's market. That pic of the boat on the pavement will haunt that "investment" forever.

Again, 70mph in a boat purpose builti for day running PR events is comical, I don't care. It's not about "showing off" it's about what that boat was built for, that ride would be terrible for a day anchored on the water.

Now, put that boat back together for half of that 120 and I could see the compromise.
I completely agree about the pic of it layed out, dropped and damaged, on top of the trailer and the tarmac. The only forseable buyer would have to be a newbie who knows not what happened and not an avid enthusuiast of the sport as our memebership.
I think the speed thing is relative to the buyers mindset of his expectations, if he wants less he'll be satisfied with less as the money savings dictated his performance reward or lack of such.
Another thing I believe is the advancement of hull dynamics and top speeds with the new boats since the turn of the millenium has a big influence..
In 96 (my boats mfg year) I'd guess that mid 70's in a completely factory stock, as delivered from Mfg, flat bottom, very wide, and heavy boat was acceptable to the masses, whether they be enthusiasts or not.
Today fans of the sport have higher expectations of performance, Someone here posted recently that 80 is the new 70. I feel it's true, mine was acceptable 18 years ago but for us to slow in todays go fast mindset.
I'd like more but deal with what I have.

Originally Posted by ajnoe3
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think repowering a very nice looking boat is a waste. Velocity seems to think it can be made to run 70mph with this power or more. I'm no expert on the design of this boat but I'm guessing they know more than I do. I also think they will do it for less than 100k or around 100k. You can buy a lot of boat for that money but this is a very nice boat. I think the biggest concern is the history of the boat, as pointed out, not the power.
I don't think 2 stock 525's would push this boat to 70, but I may be wrong.
My bud's 40OL was a mid 70s ride with 2 stock 575sc's before swapping to 871's.
I'd love to be entertaining the thought of this purchase, it is certainly a very beautiful boat but comes up short for weekending.
My guess is no galley, head, storage locker for clothes, and no AC.
That would ruin it for me as I'd have to go back to the gofast mindset, Biger power and more respectable performance numbers.
If not overnighting and simply being a day boat is the objective the extra cost of big HP isn't worth it. Jump on it cheap, strive for 70+- and be happy with a wicked good looking ride.
If I did pursue it I would make a contract at 25-30k and if they countered I wouldnt go over 35. Then I'd make the surveyor completely aware of the previous structural damages and ask him to preview them and moisture penetration very closely.
I'm certain the guys at Velocity are awesome and would hope they seriously investigated the repairs. You can't go wrong using them unless you pay 100-125k with used 525's and 6's. If they're new engines with factory warranty placed ahead of refreshed #6's and the structural repairs are acceptable as is to the surveyor, Velocity, and yourself it would be doable as a boat I'd call a keeper and not sell anytime soon.

Just my .02

See ya,
Kelly
Old 07-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all that work, hang 4 eggbeaters off the back. 80 is the new 70 and absurd is the new Baja.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BIGSLOW
This is one of my favorite boats to this day and I would love to see it back on the water.

Just curious, what should the boat have run, mph wise, with the 850's, # 6's, and the proper setup? That is a big boat and they are not known for hull efficiency so I am just curious.

As far as dropping it, was it repaired correctly and it is structurally sound? Has it been surveyed since being fixed? There was just a cover story about the MTI that flipped off the trailer and was repaired and nobody really balked at that since it was repaired properly and the surveyor said it checked out.
According to Velocity it was repaired impeccably. They also believe two 525s with the right x-dimension will power this boat to 75 mph. The guy I spoke with there said it may be possible to push this boat to 80 mph with that power with some modifications. I'm no expert but I believe they are smarter than all of us on this matter.

Damn, I forgot how negative people are on this forum. Whatever, if I can convince my fiance to let me buy this thing for 100k and it runs 75/80 mph I might seriously consider it...but she'll probably say NO, lol. Trying to get her to agree to sell the 292 Islander is hard as it can comfortably seat 10/12 people, something I don't give a sh** about but she does!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

a beautiful boat for sure!
But.
$60 + "at least that" (anyone who thinks they can power & drive for less on a 40' Baja, bro it just will not happen)= $120 for a top of the line PR Baja that runs slow. And as mentioned no cuddy comforts whatsoever.

So Baja's #1 poker run boat ever, being that the 40 is the largest in the OL/PR line, it is just that a "Poker Run boat".
It is what it is folks.

If you were in the Dealership of your dreams w/ the Baja of your dreams would you buy this boat knowing its power & speed even if you didn't know its background???

Go paint your machine for $20 & repower, good to go w/ cuddy that has at least a cushion in it.

At the end of the day whosoever would be the end of the line for this 40 OL will be someone who loves this type of Baja w/ very deep pockets & a large shop for show & tell, maybe somewhere way north where the lake/sea is frozen 11 months a year?
Or better yet that someone buy it for me & I'll power/drive & send some "Naples vintage pics" for your show & tell?!
Now we're talkin!!

Gettin it

Jimmy
Old 07-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Pretty sure Velocity is not actually "smarter" then us just motivated to "sell a boat and make profit"

Again that boat is sweet but the way it sits 20K is to much money unless your absolutely in love with it.

By the way pretty sure the boat is not even at Velocity I have no clue why they have it listed the boat is in Canada right now
Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Pretty sure Velocity is not actually "smarter" then us just motivated to "sell a boat and make profit"

Again that boat is sweet but the way it sits 20K is to much money unless your absolutely in love with it.

By the way pretty sure the boat is not even at Velocity I have no clue why they have it listed the boat is in Canada right now
Yeah, they confirmed that it's in Canada in a warehouse.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:01 PM
Registered

That boat @20k would be an awesome score
I still believe it's fair market value would be around 30k in spite of the repairs
If just sporting around for pleasure and being happy w/60mph it would make a great boat with moderate power.and loud exhaust
99% of the people who see it on the water have no idea of what it was before and will claim "that's one of the most badass boats I've ever seen."
See ya
Kelly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.