Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Hydraulic Steering recommendation for 240 Sport + Shorty Lower Discussion >

Hydraulic Steering recommendation for 240 Sport + Shorty Lower Discussion

Notices

Hydraulic Steering recommendation for 240 Sport + Shorty Lower Discussion

Old 09-04-2014, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic Steering recommendation for 240 Sport + Shorty Lower Discussion

1987 240 Sport. Has a built 505ci, roughly 615hp. Boat currently runs mid 70's GPS but likes to walk of course. Would like to do my best to get the boat as stable as possible to be able to better enjoy the upper 60's and lower 70's speed. Previous owner suggest to look into something like a 2" shorty lower and for sure some hydraulic steering. Who makes a good, easy to install set-up that you would recommend?

Also I did some research on the shorty lowers and found boats react differently to them of course and not much info on the 240 sport with one. I believe the one I found the guy liked what the 2" lower did for him... anyone else running one and what may you recommend?

Hydraulic steering will be the first upgrade.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Superman09
1987 240 Sport. Has a built 505ci, roughly 615hp. Boat currently runs mid 70's GPS but likes to walk of course. Would like to do my best to get the boat as stable as possible to be able to better enjoy the upper 60's and lower 70's speed. Previous owner suggest to look into something like a 2" shorty lower and for sure some hydraulic steering. Who makes a good, easy to install set-up that you would recommend?

Also I did some research on the shorty lowers and found boats react differently to them of course and not much info on the 240 sport with one. I believe the one I found the guy liked what the 2" lower did for him... anyone else running one and what may you recommend?

Hydraulic steering will be the first upgrade.

Thanks!
I have a 24 ft outlaw with a super charged 502 and it runs 80 mph top speed. I put full hydraulic steering from imco on it and runs great at high speeds. I would recommend imco steering unit.

jj
Old 09-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by conneroutlaw
I have a 24 ft outlaw with a super charged 502 and it runs 80 mph top speed. I put full hydraulic steering from imco on it and runs great at high speeds. I would recommend imco steering unit.

jj
Great thank you!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Registered

Great thank you!
I had the same problem, I am glad I could help

jj
Old 09-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Registered

I had the same problem, I am glad I could help

jj
Do you have a part number or a link to the set-up you purchased? I find Imco's site very difficult to use
Old 09-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered

X2 on the imco kit, mine loves the shorty.

http://www.imcomarine.com/nvcatalog/imco_catalog.pdf

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by baditude; 09-04-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Registered

Do you have a part number or a link to the set-up you purchased? I find Imco's site very difficult to use
I called imco in las vegas and the guy was very helpful on the phone. I have no part number, Not much in the box except instructions. Call them and they will ask you a bunch of questions about your set up and guide you through to getting the right one. I liked imco because of how it is made and the ability to rebuild it if needed. I did some research on them and lathem and I liked imco better
Old 09-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Registered

I called imco in las vegas and the guy was very helpful on the phone. I have no part number, Not much in the box except instructions. Call them and they will ask you a bunch of questions about your set up and guide you through to getting the right one. I liked imco because of how it is made and the ability to rebuild it if needed. I did some research on them and lathem and I liked imco better
phone number in las vegas 1-888-427-7436
Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Registered

I also have been thinking about this for quite some time.

All of my slop/friction in the steering system is inside the boat. By that I mean the helm and cable. Is there any hydraulic system that replaces these items and connects to the standard inside control (Brazil) valve on the transom? At a later date the external system could then be added. I would find this a much better way to go about it than doing the external system first.

Dan
Old 09-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baditude
X2 on the imco kit, mine loves the shorty.

http://www.imcomarine.com/nvcatalog/imco_catalog.pdf

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks, looks awesome! Was that all one kit with the shorty and the steering? If so which one in their catalogue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.