Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Considering a smaller Baja >

Considering a smaller Baja

Notices

Considering a smaller Baja

Old 11-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you there everyone. Up at the Three Lakes chain the biggest chop you might see is 1'. Overall the lakes are pretty smooth. There at least a mile long. The biggest one is 3 miles long. The average size boat is 18'. It would be nice to keep the boat at my parents lake house on a lift. It would be nice taking it on the Eagle River side. The have a lift that picks your boat up and over land and lowers it down into the water The lift can only hold 6,000lbs. This is another reason why I'm considering the 200ss.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Nick
It would be nice to keep the boat at my parents lake house on a lift. It would be nice taking it on the Eagle River side. The have a lift that picks your boat up and over land and lowers it down into the water The lift can only hold 6,000lbs.
A 25 OL can most definitely be kept on a lift and it does weighs less than 5000 lbs so a 6000lb lift should have no problems. But I do understand the small lake closing in on you in a bigger boat. There is a lake in the mountains of PA near my parent's vacation home that is 14 miles long and it seems to small when I take my boat up there.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep the 25!! Dry weight of 4700 so even with 96 gallons of fuel and some gear, your under 6k.. Barely but under!

You will be the BIG dog on the lake!

It would be like having a 36OL among a lot of 25OLs in bigger water!! More skanks to fit in the stabbin cabin too!!

Hey, your single, we have to live vicariously through you!! lol
Old 11-05-2014, 04:32 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Nick
Thank you there everyone. Up at the Three Lakes chain the biggest chop you might see is 1'. Overall the lakes are pretty smooth. There at least a mile long. The biggest one is 3 miles long. The average size boat is 18'. It would be nice to keep the boat at my parents lake house on a lift. It would be nice taking it on the Eagle River side. The have a lift that picks your boat up and over land and lowers it down into the water The lift can only hold 6,000lbs. This is another reason why I'm considering the 200ss.
Hard to answer for you (mentally) but i've been on several lakes like this and anything over 20ft would feel weird.

Anyhow, I downsized to a 20ft right before getting married (I know, usually other way around) and even though on a lake that , at times, you really need a larger boat, it has worked out wonderfully.

It laughs at gas. My snowmobile uses way more.

Super easy to launch. I'm a one man team. I'm so close to the ramp, my family walks down to it. I have a dock at my parents house less than a 1/4 mile away, but it's so easy to launch/pick up....I do so everytime. Keeps boat way cleaner of course vs staying in the water.

I access more shallow swimming spots, I get the better spots in the shallows, etc,etc.

Much more +'s than I thought when i got it.

However, since my lake is a decent size, there are times I can't access certain spots since the waves are so damn big. LOL.

Don't let people talk you out of a smaller boat if you think it would better for you to have.

BTW: I don't drop my small boat in the smaller lakes anymore because it can cover ground a little to quickly. LOL. Hard to resist a smash the throttle thru the dasboard run when on calm water.

LMAOF.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would normally agree that it is hard to go smaller but if you are talking about the 3 lakes and eagle river chains in Wisconsin I would agree that your 25 is a bit big for those lakes. I haven't been there in years now but in the past I took my18 wellcraft Jet boat there and never needed anything bigger. I have been over the lift several times... I thought it was pretty cool at the time.

If I am thinking of the wrong chain disregard...
Old 11-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Registered

Thank you there everyone I'll have to do some serious thinking there. Dukedonzi, you're correct the 3 Lakes and Eagle River Chain. I enjoy boating up there. I did take my boat up there a year ago. It did fine going through thoroughfares. It just seemed I would run out of lake quite quickly. If I do end up selling my boat I'll buy the boat lift and boat with that money.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

So are you done boating on the Chain? still a part of NIOC group? have not seen you at any meetings in a while now.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Registered

boatnt, I'm not quite done with the chain yet. I've got some serious thinking to do about my boat whether to still keep it. I'm still a part of the NIOC group just haven't had the time to go to the meetings. Next month I'll go to the meeting.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Registered

I decided I'm keeping the boat. I would be afraid of regretting by selling my boat. Anyways it's such a blast to drive. It's pretty easy to dock. I'm keeping the boat in the long run. Yes it's pretty cool boating on the Three Lakes chain with it. I wouldn't want anything bigger for up there. Also ideal for the Illinois chain where I currently boat at. My boat is indeed the big dog up there. The next biggest boat is a 22' Donzi. People up on the Three Lakes chain enjoyed seeing my boat and talking to me about it. Some of the people on the water had there jaw dropped to the floor when they saw my boat. Ultimately I do want a boat lift at my parents lake house and keep it up there in the summer time.

Boatnt, I couldn't make last wed. meeting I've been getting over a nasty cold.

Last edited by Captain Nick; 12-06-2014 at 07:37 PM.