1996 232 water marks at the bottom of the outdrive >

1996 232 water marks at the bottom of the outdrive

Notices

1996 232 water marks at the bottom of the outdrive

Old 01-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem, Sorry the photo makes it appear as so.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did your mechanic say why the transom was wet? Where was the water coming from? If the gasket and transom assembly was installed right, water should not be getting in or out in that area. Also, the transom assembly is not sealed on the inside. I'm not sure I would recommend filling the bilge with water either. There are lots of screw holes and the raw transom is open where the transom assembly attaches. This will allow water to penetrate into the wood.

Last edited by FBRONCO; 01-09-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He said when he had the engine and outdrive out the transom was "damp". He left the engine and outdrive out for a week to make sure it was dry before he put it back together. He also told me he had a 4 winns there that had the same problem as mine but that transom was rotted. So I have to believe he was confident of the integrity of my transom.

The reason I filled the bilge with water was after the first time I used it after the repairs, there was still some water in the bilge but not near as much as before the repairs. I filled the bilge with water and only left it overnight. There were no brown lines at all. I drained the bilge, winterized the boat and it sat for 9 weeks. That's when I saw the brown line in the second photo.