Buyer Beware (I screwed up) >

Buyer Beware (I screwed up)

Notices

Buyer Beware (I screwed up)

Old 04-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer Beware (I screwed up)

I retired last year and wanted to get a small boat to enjoy with my wife. Having owned my fair share of boats though by no means an "expert" in any way I purchased a 2003 Outlaw 20' with 150 hours one owner boat last summer (2014). It was in great shape. I spent lots of time with a flashlight, moisture probe looking the boat all over. Since it was late in the season we only put about 4-6 hours on it and it performed flawless. Took it to dealer and had it completly serviced as well and they found nothing wrong. Starting to finally warm up around here now so I have been spending some time in the boat wiping things off and waxing etc. My heart sank when I just now discovered the buzzer behind the dash to have been disconnected by the wires cut and neatly taped off. Kind of like taking the batteries out of a smoke detector. I contacted the previous owner and he needless to say was quite cool and had "no idea what I was talking about". So, as spring approaches and someone may be out there beginning to look for a new boat, look at everything!!! Don't be a chump like me.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to learn of this. No too good

However what was the purpose of the buzzer? Or was it the hour

If the boat ran well and your mechanic didn't discover anything wrong --
Maybe you have nothing to worry about.

Just my opinion

3pointstar
Old 04-17-2015, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

I was waiting for the punch line of a rotten hull or something not just a buzzer or light! Consider yourself lucky I would hardly call you a chump by any means! Myself on the other hand.....? lol

If it makes you feel any better:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...head-help.html

Last edited by Diamond Dave; 04-17-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what's the issue? Did you reconnect? What happened?

Thread seems premature.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:28 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

I think he's being sarcastic and saying he bought a good boat and that they are out there.
All that was wrong with the boat was an alarm (or maybe the horn ?) that was disconnected.

Or am I way wrong ? LOL.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Hard to tell? Lol
Old 04-17-2015, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't mean to be vague on my post. I assume one disconnects a buzzer as there is an issue with something. Appears it can be low fluids or engine issues. Throwing codes can also trigger a buzzer. Once it warms up I will take it to the lake and see what surprises there are. My real point was for some person looking at buying a boat needs to look things over better than I.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Yes, but what engine platform? Most later engines would reduce engine performance.

Its not bad yet....
Old 04-17-2015, 08:57 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

I had a friend that the fume detector alarm would sound for a few seconds every freakin time you though of touching the key on or off. Since new.

Very annoying for those very late nightearly am pulling into someone's dock.

The buzzer got the axe.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dallas01
I retired last year and wanted to get a small boat to enjoy with my wife. Having owned my fair share of boats though by no means an "expert" in any way I purchased a 2003 Outlaw 20' with 150 hours one owner boat last summer (2014). It was in great shape. I spent lots of time with a flashlight, moisture probe looking the boat all over. Since it was late in the season we only put about 4-6 hours on it and it performed flawless. Took it to dealer and had it completly serviced as well and they found nothing wrong. Starting to finally warm up around here now so I have been spending some time in the boat wiping things off and waxing etc. My heart sank when I just now discovered the buzzer behind the dash to have been disconnected by the wires cut and neatly taped off. Kind of like taking the batteries out of a smoke detector. I contacted the previous owner and he needless to say was quite cool and had "no idea what I was talking about". So, as spring approaches and someone may be out there beginning to look for a new boat, look at everything!!! Don't be a chump like me.
+1 and I hired a surveyor . All alarms cut, a boat that was supposed to have 138 hrs had mor like 900. Nothing original as far as power. It comes down to people suck and don't trust anyone. Even if they say there are a professional . What motor do you have it that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.