Gaffrig gauges lens replacement >

Gaffrig gauges lens replacement

Notices

Gaffrig gauges lens replacement

Old 07-12-2015, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaffrig gauges lens replacement

Some of my lens cover are getting cloudy and hard to see through. Can you replace the glass only on them and not the whole gauge. If you can how do you take them apart with out breaking them?

Thanks
Jj
Old 07-12-2015, 10:55 PM
Registered

I tried to have mine repaired, sent them back to livorsi and after they looked at them they said they could not fix them. The bezel has to be replaced when you replace the lens because it has to be cut off. They told me the new style bezel would not fit on the old style gauge. I bought all new gauges from autometer.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rumrunner29
I tried to have mine repaired, sent them back to livorsi and after they looked at them they said they could not fix them. The bezel has to be replaced when you replace the lens because it has to be cut off. They told me the new style bezel would not fit on the old style gauge. I bought all new gauges from autometer.
Thank you for the info, I am going to call them today and see what they tell me and ***** them out, The glass shouldn't go bad. It is all spider cracked and foggy and they should warranty the defect in the glass. Thank you for the insight, maybe I can get something out of them. If so it will be a late fall project right before it goes into storage, so I don't lay up the boat in our short season.

thanks

JJ
Old 07-13-2015, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please keep us posted JJ. I've got a couple just like yours and it bothers me.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:08 PM
Registered

No problem, always glad to help. I had older gaffrig by livorsi monster gauges in my outlaw. Called them and they said they could fix them, but the rim on my gauges was no longer available. They said they could put the newer style on them and change all the lenses and pointers. After about 3 weeks I had heard nothing and called them. They told me that the new ring would not fit correctly on the older style, so they are not repairable. I don't know what gauges you have but I took it as that if you have older gaffrig gauges they cannot be fixed whatsoever. I went with autometer marine gauges because i didn't want to rewire the whole dash to go with the newer style connectors that livorsi gauges require. They turned out great, but I lost 2 months waiting on livorsi to look at my old ones and autometer to make the new ones..[ATTACH=CONFIG]543028[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Gaffrig gauges lens replacement-20150623_202121.jpg  

Last edited by rumrunner29; 07-13-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hook'em
Please keep us posted JJ. I've got a couple just like yours and it bothers me.
I just sent them pictures of my dash and I will have to wait and see, They told me they were probably sealed and can not be taken apart, so I might have to buy new ones. I will have to see the price and how expensive it will be but I will keep you updated. I hope with these I don't have to retire the dash for them.

Jj
Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It wont fix the cracking but wet sand and plastic polish will take out the cloudyness of those acrylic lenses and make them more bearable
Old 07-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by airjunky
It wont fix the cracking but wet sand and plastic polish will take out the cloudyness of those acrylic lenses and make them more bearable
thanks for the info, I will try it

jj
Old 07-23-2015, 09:35 AM
JBA
Registered

The bezel is easily removed by using a small straight blade screw driver and gently prying the rolled over edge on the back side of the bezel. I did this on my set and when put back together you would never know without looking extremely hard at them. I started on mine sanding and polishing like airjunky had said but still had to remove the lens and do both sides for the best result.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JBA
The bezel is easily removed by using a small straight blade screw driver and gently prying the rolled over edge on the back side of the bezel. I did this on my set and when put back together you would never know without looking extremely hard at them. I started on mine sanding and polishing like airjunky had said but still had to remove the lens and do both sides for the best result.
Thanks for the info on the gauges

jj