Baja force steering problems >

Baja force steering problems

Notices

Baja force steering problems

Old 07-12-2015, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja force steering problems

I have a 1988 baja force 265 with a 454 and a bravo 1. The motor was rebuilt last year and ever since then it has been really hard to turn to the left. I don't know if something happened in that process or if maybe some water got in the tube just needed lubrication .Well yesterday it totally seized up on me and wouldn't turn either direction, unfortunately I tried to muscle through it and some kind of bracket broke off the steering wheel and now the wheel turns freely but doesn't turn the drive. So now I have 2 problems instead of 1. Really looking for any input here on how to fix and if it's something I should be able to do myself or have to get a mechanic to do. Also what cost I may be looking at. I have no experience with mechanical steering and cables so that's why I need any input available and appreciate all advice.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Start from the back. Unhook the cable from the tiller arm on the outdrive. See if the outdrive moves back and forth freely from the outside of the boat. If so, then probably not your transom assembly. Then unhook cable at the helm, see how hard it is to move. Process of elimination. The cable and helm are not too hard to replace. Like I said in your other post, I have replaced all three in baja's. Transom assembly needs the removal of the motor.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:41 PM
Registered

Do you know what kind of steering controls are at the helm in my boat because I know something broke there for sure. Is it the morse 300252? I was just looking at controls and the bottom of it looks like what broke off. I can't look at it on my boat right now because it's at the shed at the lake. Thanks, just not sure what kind of steering it has at the helm or if anyone knew but I know the cable is morse
Old 07-14-2015, 06:51 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not know.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:08 AM
Registered

You probably snapped teeth off the rack and gear at the helm.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ack%20steering
Old 07-14-2015, 09:39 AM
Registered

C Deezy Is that the steering you have on your boat? I would think what you have would be the same as mine
Old 07-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Registered

And I don't know if it helps at all but when out of the water I couldn't stand behind the boat and move the out drive at all from side to side. And whatever I broke in the steering wheel allows it to move freely for about 4-5 full turns without doing anything
Old 07-14-2015, 03:50 PM
Registered

Yeah its similar to what I have. I don't recall exactly if it was a Morse or Teleflex and the boat is still in storage but it was a rack and gear.

Sounds like something in the hydraulic helper cylinder jammed up and then when you muscled it at the helm you stripped the gears or snapped the shaft or woodruff key or something. Like FBRONCO said, start at the back and move forward.