Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Contemplating Baja (or Others) Purchase , Need Advise Please. >

Contemplating Baja (or Others) Purchase , Need Advise Please.

Notices

Contemplating Baja (or Others) Purchase , Need Advise Please.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Contemplating Baja (or Others) Purchase , Need Advise Please.

Yes, my very first post. I'm finally in the market to buy my first powerboat! I'm looking at a few brands in the 1990's and early 2000's that are in my price demo. I came upon the Baja below and would like to pick the experts brain's about it. The owner states a tab is inop. so I'm curious to know what the top dollar is I'd be looking at replacing it, the control, or any auxiliary equipment. I plan on getting much more detail about the boat as a whole but thus far it looks very clean. Are there any inherent problems with the year range and make? What would one expect to pay for such a craft? Are there any issues with bringing in a boat from Canada? I know this is a Baja dedicated sub-forum but without brand bias how do Baja's compare to say Scarab or Formula in the same vintage listed above as these seem to be the crafts in my wheelhouse. Thanks for any help you can lend. If I come upon other of the same make I'll post back in this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Baja-32...vip=true&rt=nc

Keith

Last edited by Tractionless; 08-01-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

NV
Originally Posted by Tractionless
Yes, my very first post. I'm finally in the market to buy my first powerboat! I'm looking at a few brands in the 1990's and early 2000's that are in my price demo. I came upon the Baja below and would like to pick the experts brain's about it. The owner states a tab is inop. so I'm curious to know what the top dollar is I'd be looking at replacing it, the control, or any auxiliary equipment. I plan on getting much more detail about the boat as a whole but thus far it looks very clean. Are there any inherent problems with the year range and make? What would one expect to pay for such a craft? Are there any issues with bringing in a boat from Canada? I know this is a Baja dedicated sub-forum but without brand bias how do Baja's compare to say Scarab or Formula in the same vintage listed above as these seem to be the crafts in my wheelhouse. Thanks for any help you can lend. If I come upon other of the same make I'll post back in this thread.

Keith
What price range are you looking at?
Old 08-02-2015, 06:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kefurr
NV

What price range are you looking at?
$25k would be my ceiling for a boat with everything as I'd want it including cabin AC. I want something that looks updated, I can't stand the gauge designs of the 90's. The one I posted is dead on what I'm looking for aesthetics wise and is well within my price range even with transport fees to fla. from northern VT.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, my very first post. I'm finally in the market to buy my first powerboat! I'm looking at a few brands in the 1990's and early 2000's that are in my price demo. I came upon the Baja below and would like to pick the experts brain's about it. The owner states a tab is inop. so I'm curious to know what the top dollar is I'd be looking at replacing it, the control, or any auxiliary equipment. I plan on getting much more detail about the boat as a whole but thus far it looks very clean. Are there any inherent problems with the year range and make? What would one expect to pay for such a craft? Are there any issues with bringing in a boat from Canada? I know this is a Baja dedicated sub-forum but without brand bias how do Baja's compare to say Scarab or Formula in the same vintage listed above as these seem to be the crafts in my wheelhouse. Thanks for any help you can lend. If I come upon other of the same make I'll post
back in this thread.

I just priced out trim tabs, they can range from a $1000 to $3000 a pair depending on what your needs are for the boat.

Jj

Keith
I just priced out trim tabs for my boat. They can range from a $1000 to $4000. I found a nice set from boat leveling Instratrim company. I talked to the owner and he was great about helping me. His name is Brian. The price from them for my boat is $1000. Ask for the owner he is very knowledgable about things and is very honest with his performance of his tabs

Jj
Old 08-02-2015, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any inherent problems with the year range and make?
Rotted wood would be my major concern. Production built quality on these boats led to sealing issues. Moisture meters will only show moisture in the wood but I've seen stringers with no wood behind them at all to hold water cause it was rotted away. We talked a guy into letting me drill small holes in stringers and bulkheads when we suspected substantial rot. It gave us serious bargaining power. Now the boat has been completely redone and re rigged the proper way.

As far as tabs, I bought a set of 280 kplanes for my Outlaw off the swap shop with pumps and lines for under a G. I'd go with something better then InstaTrim. Eddie Marine sells nice sets, or some used k planes. If the budget is tight I'd probably go Lenco's high performance tabs before boat leveler.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

If your looking at Formulas, I have a 97 271 FASTech I'm willing to let go for 18k. single HP500 with 15 hrs on motor, 350 hrs on hull.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Registered

Thanks to all of the above for your expertise. As I've come to find while negotiating with the owners either someone comes in and buys without a survey etc. or they ignore me when I bring it up, sot the linked boat in post #1 is gone. On to the next one.

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
If your looking at Formulas, I have a 97 271 FASTech I'm willing to let go for 18k. single HP500 with 15 hrs on motor, 350 hrs on hull.
I'm interested. Can you please send a link to the sale ad and/or pics. and details to me via email? [email protected] Thanks!
Old 08-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

If they balk at a survey then walk. You're protecting your "investment". If there is such a word for a boat
Old 08-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
If they balk at a survey then walk. You're protecting your "investment". If there is such a word for a boat
Big 10-4 on that,especially for the round about price of $500! Gotta be bonkers not to as a layman.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

25k for a boat with everything you want and AC is asking for a miracle. You'll either have to change what kind of boat you want IE.. Cruiser instead of go-fast, or go-fast but larger and obviously more expensive. There are cruisers to be had in your price range with gen-sets and AC but you're going to have to do some serious and I mean serious inspections not limited to just moisture contamination. Good luck.

Or you can bump up your ceiling and buy mine. 36K includes brand new drives and labbed 25P props. But no AC sorry.

Last edited by Trippin; 08-03-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.