Hydraulic Steering Problem >

Hydraulic Steering Problem

Notices

Hydraulic Steering Problem

Old 05-20-2016, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic Steering Problem

Hi guys I have a 2001 Baja Outlaw with power steering. I bought the boat last summer and when I got the boat the steering wheel always made a slight whining/screeching sound when turning the wheel left or right.

I was wondering if anybody else had this problem or does anybody know what it could possibly be.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

and the PS fluid level is where it should be on the dip stick ?? are you checking it while its running
Old 05-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Registered

Might be a stupid question but does a dual engine baja have two reservoirs for power steering fluid? I read the manual which is very vague and checked what I believe to be the power steering reservoirs (not marked). The left engine reservoir has fluid but its not reading on the dipstick and the right engine is reading full on the dipstick.

I am guessing this is my problem, but would like to confirm the there's two reservoirs before I add power steering fluid to the left side.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Lets back up, what are you working on ?? most twin engine boats have the PS pump, reservoir on the starboard engine ( left engine ) while looking at the engines from the cockpit, some have been modified to add PS on the port engine ass well, mine has PS pumps on both engines but the port side just retunes fluid to itself its not functional
Old 05-20-2016, 10:01 AM
Registered

I only have the power steering pump on the Starboard motor. If you only have the one pump there should only be one reservoir. My steering will make a little noise if I take it to full lock. Otherwise its quiet. Definitely check your fluids first, top off any that need it. Check the belts next and make sure they are not slipping or loose, causing a drop in fluid pressure.