I nominate myself for the largest dumb s*** on OSO >

I nominate myself for the largest dumb s*** on OSO

Notices

I nominate myself for the largest dumb s*** on OSO

Old 09-27-2002, 07:31 PM
Allan4

Default I nominate myself for the largest dumb s*** on OSO

Y'all hear of Hurricane Isador?

How it dumped about 4 inches of rain in Cincinnati the last 24 hours?

HOw I have had my boat stored inside for 10 months until a few weeks ago?

How I religiously pull my drain plug ON THE BOAT RAMP every time I pull the boat out?

How I forgot to pull my drain plug after going out Wed. night?

How I pulled in today to find about....oh......18 inches of water under the hatch?

Now you know why I have nominated myself for this prestigious award. May as well toss that starter, it was completely submereged, don't know if the alternator got it, was to damn pissed at myself to pay attetion. I should have snapped some photos, this pig was full of H2O. THose of you with 24 Outlaws know how deep that engine bay is. The water was well above the stingers where the motor mounts. Un-freakin-real.

So I drained it, wiped up everthing, checked the fluids, started it on the hose and let the compartment heat up good (nieghbors love that) and hopefully the starter won't rust out, because then you gotta pull the mainfold to put the new one in. Figures I would forget to pull the drain plug when 1.) The boat was outside for the first time in almost a year, 2.) we get a freakin' monsson of rain in the middle of 4 mos. of drought. Good thing I placed most of the wiring above the "water line" when I rigged the boat last winter, not that it won't get wet at some point anyway. Oh well.......thanks for the award......

Old 09-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Allan4

Yeah, I know, it's not that big a deal, just felt like realying to all my buddies here how my latest boating incident was one for the Drawin folks......!!

THe only damamge will probably be a frozen starter in about 48 hours, if there is any damage at all. Besides, I like making other people feel smart......SEEEE YAAAAAAAA

Old 09-27-2002, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

I second that motion!! Here, here!!

Just kidding bro....It'll all work out...See I'm glad you posted this though....I have just recently started putting my boat in my back yard after being stored inside for 4 years. We are supposed to get another "El Nino" (lots of rain this season). Now I should remember to pull the plug....Which I never do!!

Tank
Old 09-28-2002, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I third that nomination!

J/k buddy!

Hey, I wouldn't worry about it too much...Like high-tide said, fresh water is the least of your concerns. I'd be damn sure to douse the whole compartment with a good water-dispursing anti-corrosive spray, though...especially the starter.

Also, is the encapsulation on the stringers and floor boards in good shape...The worst thing would be if the coring got water penetration.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:24 AM
Brad Perry

I guess I finally get to pass on the award

I completely dunked my $hit the by forgeting the plug and never had a starter issue. or alt issue, or battery issue, or trim pump issue - you see how deep the water got..........

Old 09-30-2002, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allan, I think you and I are related. Not that the same thing happend to me, but **** does happen to me similiar.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"drain plug problems" either forgetting putting it in or forgetting to take it out are more common than you think... There a lot of people, even experienced boaters that have done it (me included), usually you catch it when the pump turns on. In my marina where we do our own work, at least one person does it every year. I leave 3 wires on my boat hot wired past the battery switch:

1. the pump float switch
2. the stereo memory
3. Mercathode (if it is left in the water)

Regarding the starter, it sould be fine with fresh water. Bump it over every day if possible for a week or two.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also throw some grease at the gimble bearing. If the water was that high that bearing was most likely sitting in water also. just a little added insurance, replacing that bearing is a $250 to $300 job.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:46 PM
Allan4

Good idea on the Gimbal, I'll do that today. I'll see if I can hit the coupler as well. I'm not worked up about it, infact it was pretty funny, I'm just passing on some info One thing about it though, it stained my fuel pump and regulator, which I mounted at about the same level as the impellar. They were both submereged. I better change the fuel water seperator as well. Seeing as we are getting another few days of rain, she's going back inside........ LAter

Old 10-01-2002, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can fit a dehumidifier under the hatch that may help. I have dried out starters by cutting the fuel and grounding the coil. crank it till the starter gets good and hot. Heats from the inside out. You should be OK. Just put it on the list of things to replace before it fails.
Tim T.

Quick Reply: I nominate myself for the largest dumb s*** on OSO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.