Has anyone installed a custom dash?

Notices

Has anyone installed a custom dash?

Old 08-17-2016, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=Keith Atlanta;4472246]
Originally Posted by nailit
Unwiring and rewiring every gauge sucked and was by far the worst part! (Twins)

That is the worse part. I dont know what you did but I took a couple pictures then labeled each wire with a tape tag.

I did mine the day before 4th July, and drank a 12 pack while rewiring.... LOL
I took pictures and then I drew a diagram for the whole back of the panel. Position of pins and colors of wires and any jumpers etc! SUCKED!! Had a gremlin after that took a while to find.. Ended up being power wire coming from Molex plug to kill switch on S motor! Argh!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558450[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558451[/ATTACH]

Fun times!
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone installed a custom dash?-image.jpg   Has anyone installed a custom dash?-image.jpg  
Old 08-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Diggerdpilot
Did your original transducer sit under the motor in a most completely inaccessible place? Not happy, but going to try some plastic bag full of water tricks and see if I can find a place to shoot thru.
I set mine using clear silicone. Worked like a champ without the commitment of epoxy.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diggerdpilot
Hey Baja Dan, my insert is 7" tall in the middle, and at it's widest 17 1/2" wide. Do you have a template?
Sorry for the delay. I've been out of town on business.

Looks like we have the same dash. Here is a pdf showing the dimensions and a step file and AutoCAD file that your fabricator can use for CNC work (LASER or water jet etc). If you want different gauge hole sizes or locations you can fill them in on the drawing or let me know and I will modify the drawings for you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558478[/ATTACH]

Well, it looks like I can only attach the pdf. Shoot me your email address and I will send you the other files.

Dan

Edit. Double click on the image to see the full pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Baja252Dash_Detail.PDF (31.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 08-19-2016, 07:46 AM
Registered

And yes, the depth transducer is unreachable unless you pull the engine. A friend of mine has a 272 though and his transducer is mounted toward the front of the engine and still reads well. His is slightly easier to access so you might want to try mounting yours in this location. You can easily see where the coring stops on the hull. The bottom 3 or 4 inches of the hull (right at the vee) is not cored and you can shoot through this easily. The original transducer is the one mounted in the front and I added the NMEA 2000 one just behind it. If I had known that a location farther forward worked well I would have certainly moved the NMEA transducer to that location. I kept both systems but there is some interference on the original depth finder if both are running at the same time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558480[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone installed a custom dash?-img_4791.jpg   Has anyone installed a custom dash?-img_4794.jpg  
Old 08-19-2016, 08:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
I took pictures and then I drew a diagram for the whole back of the panel. Position of pins and colors of wires and any jumpers etc! SUCKED!! Had a gremlin after that took a while to find.. Ended up being power wire coming from Molex plug to kill switch on S motor! Argh!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558450[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558451[/ATTACH]

Fun times!
The wiring was like that from the factory?
Old 08-24-2016, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
The wiring was like that from the factory?
It was a little neater and had probably 100 zip ties, but other than that.. Yes..
Old 08-25-2016, 07:00 PM
Registered

Shoot! Sorry for the late reply Dan, I just got the email notification for the reply from nailit. Thanks so much for the at template. I will find someone here in Columbus to cut one. And our keels look the same too. I think I may have a bit of room to shove my bilge pump back and fit my 'ducer in. Just gonna take some fiddling time.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:02 PM
Registered

Duh. It has been the longest 36 hours at the firehouse in a long time. My eyes are all scratchy.

[email protected].....

Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Registered

That looks like something our Bomb Squad would send the new guy to to kick it. Looks very complicated. Haven't pulled mine yet, but sure hope it isn't quite that bad. Just a single so that should help....
Old 08-26-2016, 12:43 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

This may be a handy resource.

http://wewireboats.com/