Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Anyone with a "fast" 232 boss or performance? >

Anyone with a "fast" 232 boss or performance?

Notices

Anyone with a "fast" 232 boss or performance?

Old 01-03-2017, 12:10 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Anyone with a "fast" 232 boss or performance?

Hello all! I am looking to get some tips from anyone running over 70 mph in a 232. I'm doing a big build but am not sure how this boat will react when it gets above 70, or 80 for that matter! I haven't really found any posts about builds on 232's, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I read where a guy was build a 600 hp setup for a 232, but he never came back and give any results, and I can't seem to locate that post again. Anyhow- thanks for your time everyone!
Old 01-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sold my 232 some weeks ago!
I have 500 HP in it and boat ran 73-74 mls on gps!
First i use standart XR but then boat have probs with chinewalk!
i changed then lower to an minus 2 sportmaster and prop from mirage to and revo 4!
Get same speed but it was much safer ride.
But you can allways try this speed only without any waves! its allways a ride on sharp side from an knife.
this is ground why i chnged now to and 275 ! Also i want sometimes an superchered engine and this will not woth to mount in an 232.
best regards
Michael
Old 03-22-2017, 11:30 AM
Registered

I had a 2000 232 boss- took it on trade, 454mpi already built with pro-charger. stock x-dimension
with 2 people and 1/2 gas it ran 70 mph @ 1/2 throttle. more throttle only meant bad chine walk, dangerous boat. tried for 2 years with different props.
with 4 people and full gas, it would stay in the water until about 75.

like BREMBOFREAK said, -2" drive will probably need to be a priority.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:37 PM
Registered
Gold Member

so about 75 loaded was the limit for stability? damn! did this particular boat have external steering? and did you think that would have helped the issue if not? also, i've seen that some 232's don't have any trim tabs at all, I am wondering if the tabs may help... I guess i'll see. I do have tabs, and was considering K planes maybe to help keep it under control- but I haven't gotten to run it yet as i'm currently finishing it up and prepping for boating season.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd be better off/way ahead to put that power in something designed to run 70+. The 232 is not meant to be a speed demon and as mentioned above is/will be dangerous. Chine walk is that last few seconds before disaster. It WILL throw you in the floor or overboard. Wear your lanyard without fail. Full throttle boats without drivers ain't cool.

Personally I wouldn't put 280 K planes on a 23' boat. It's over kill and again potentially dangerous. Not enough bow ahead of the COG to have that much correction coming from the tabs. The 12" plates should work fine. Running them a couple of bars (on your gauge) positive will help settle chine walk.

Then you need $4K worth of external steering as a must. Put a 7.4 in her and trade for a bigger boat, JMO.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Shots_fired
so about 75 loaded was the limit for stability? damn! did this particular boat have external steering? and did you think that would have helped the issue if not? also, i've seen that some 232's don't have any trim tabs at all, I am wondering if the tabs may help... I guess i'll see. I do have tabs, and was considering K planes maybe to help keep it under control- but I haven't gotten to run it yet as i'm currently finishing it up and prepping for boating season.
My boat does 82 mph on gps. My boat is supercharged with a m1 procharger. If it was me, my first investment would be an imco full hydraulic steering from out drive to to steering wheel. Then good trim tabs. Both of these investments would save your life and would take care of your chin walking , it did mine, I have insta trim leveler trim tabs, the owner is a great guy to work with and the price is right. I didn't go with k plans, because I don't race my boat. The trim tabs I have work great. Anything over 60 mph should have full hydraulic steering if you don't want to die while driving the boat.

If you have any questions, Give me a call. 716-673-5176. I would be glad to help you with any of the knowledge I have gained with my boat and experiences.

Jj

Last edited by conneroutlaw; 03-23-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 232 with a 502 Mag MPI, 415 HP.
Runs 70 on GPS.
25P M+ Prop
At 66-68 MPH this boat chine walks pretty bad, sometimes takes a couple tries to hit 70mph, either by dropping some tabs or trimming drive down or throttling back to stop chine and try again. On flat water, with some steering correction you can hold it steady at 70. If it gets rough, its a pretty sketchy ride.
No hydraulic steering on mine, drive has no slop.
I tired a labbed REV 4 and chine was worse.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by windsurfnut
I have a 232 with a 502 Mag MPI, 415 HP.
Runs 70 on GPS.
25P M+ Prop
At 66-68 MPH this boat chine walks pretty bad, sometimes takes a couple tries to hit 70mph, either by dropping some tabs or trimming drive down or throttling back to stop chine and try again. On flat water, with some steering correction you can hold it steady at 70. If it gets rough, its a pretty sketchy ride.
No hydraulic steering on mine, drive has no slop.
I tired a labbed REV 4 and chine was worse.
thanks for getting back with me! So, you could sort of drive "through" the chine walking that occurred in the 68 mph range? I'm hoping that one its hits mid 70-'s and up it'll be a little steadier ride, but i guess we will have to see. Just trying to gain as much info as possible to avoid any unwanted surprises.. lol, or at least some of them . I haven't been able to find much info on them, as apparently not a lot of people modify them... but it's the boat I have so that's what I'm working with! if you have any other tips, feel free to share
Old 05-07-2017, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shots_fired
thanks for getting back with me! So, you could sort of drive "through" the chine walking that occurred in the 68 mph range? I'm hoping that one its hits mid 70-'s and up it'll be a little steadier ride, but i guess we will have to see. Just trying to gain as much info as possible to avoid any unwanted surprises.. lol, or at least some of them . I haven't been able to find much info on them, as apparently not a lot of people modify them... but it's the boat I have so that's what I'm working with! if you have any other tips, feel free to share
Sometimes you can drive through it, sometimes you have to drop tab, drive or slow down and try again.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:21 PM
Registered

We just finished the tuning on our 232 Performance with Whippled 500EFI. With good adjustment of tabs and trim we ran 83 without any issues in pretty decent water. We have mounted batteries forward a couple of feet and located one on each side for better balance, used aluminum heads and CMI E-Tops for a bunch of weight reduction in the back, and have Drew Marine stabilizers for the outdrive until we get hydraulic steering. Has worked well for us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.